Nervous and excited

Laciesca
on 10/23/17 3:15 pm
VSG on 11/14/17

I am a new poster but not new to the boards. I have lurked for many years. I have been thinking of having wls for about 14 years now. In fact, 14 years ago I was going through the process and had to stop because I was pregnant. My husband ended up having a rny that year and has kept off all but about 40 of the pounds he lost.

Fast forward to now and I am ready for my turn to do this. Since my insurance specifically excludes wls I am self pay and have decided to go with the vsg. I am nervous about gerd but 2 good friends of mine who had the surgery do not have trouble with it. I don't have trouble with gerd now so I am hoping that this will be manageable.

I am scheduled for surgery on nov 14 and am feeling every emotion possible. Excitement which leads to worry and despair over all of the "what ifs." Is this normal. I just hope I am making the right decision.

Gwen M.
on 10/23/17 4:28 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations and welcome.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amy R.
on 10/23/17 6:49 pm

Congratulations!

And it's completely normal to feel all of the feelings. I was a basket case until someone here suggested I spend much less time on the Complications, Revision and Failed WLS boards. Knowing the risks is one thing - immersing yourself in them is another.

WLS is a big deal and it would be more alarming if you were to not have any concerns at all. Recognize them, address them, and then shelve them in the back of your brain.

My only caveat has always been that if you are too apprehensive - as evidenced by being unable to think of anything else - you do really need to consider cancelling or postponing. Sometimes people really are not ready and that has to be OK too.

kalyani
on 10/27/17 12:07 am

Congratulations ! All we can advise is stay strong and hope for the best. There is no point in worrying for things you are not under control. Just consult a good nutritionist for the right decision.