The dreaded last meal lunacy.

Melody P.
on 10/26/17 6:42 pm - Amarillo, TX

I see the cardiologist tuesday for the final all clear for surgery. My doctor told me after the EGD that the surgery would be before Christmas.

I have to admit I fell victim to my own mind today. My most favorite food in the world is thai. I have had a lot of people...mostly family...telling me I wouldn't be able to eat this or that. I swore I wouldn't do this and I ended up falling hard. I had seafood pad thai. There I said it.

I am being accountable. I am also doing one thing I usually don't do as easily. FORGIVING myself! That's a big one for me! I don't feel guilty but I learned from this. My family and friends are concerned about eating stuff in front of me. Mostly Christmas foods. I'm a baker and candy maker...i've told them I will not be making fudge this year or cookies. My mom wants to cancel Christmas meals over me having to eat the way I will be. I finally talked with my mom this afternoon after the guilt of thai food was over. I told her I do NOT expect her to change her eating or to hide her eating. I didn't realize how much it was stressing her out. It was so good to have that talk. I don't know how my tastes and craving will change after surgery. Things are going to change and she doesn't fear it now as much. It was a real growing experience for us.

I also decided to stop the crud with the word dieting. It sets up a recipe for feeling deprived. I have pretty much stopped the night time grazing. I am rather proud of myself for that one.

So today while I had a misstep I also had a great day with family growth. I have actions and new ways to convey my feelings.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/26/17 7:07 pm
You'll be able to eat again after surgery. So I wouldn't get so wrapped up in the "last meal" thought process.

Scott
Caff
on 10/26/17 8:03 pm, edited 10/26/17 1:03 pm

The night before my pre-op diet I ate an entire loaf of cheesey garlic bread.

An oops is fine, it?s when it starts sliding into a regular habit - that?s the dangerous part.

All the best!

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Agran
on 10/26/17 8:04 pm

I am glad you have forgiven yourself. I think this is something we all do. By Christmas time your family will be fine. It is nice that they are being supportive but trust me you won't even want to eat that food by Christmas time. It won't bother you one bit what they are eating.

I am four months out and I couldn't care a less what food my friends and family eat in front of me. Your tastes completely change and your ability to eat changes as well.

Good luck on your journey and good for you taking this step. Be kind to yourself and keep us posted on your journey.

Eggface
on 10/26/17 8:07 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

There is yummy food on the other side. I love to cook. I was afraid I would have to give it up after surgery... but soon I was back in the kitchen experimenting and trying to make healthier versions of favorites. I get to be more creative. Maybe your candy making tradition could be adapted into a craft or art of some sort.

Holidays will change especially the first year but you will find new ways to celebrate that will honor your commitment to your health and hopefully help keep you around for a few more :)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

trkr75
on 10/26/17 10:32 pm, edited 10/26/17 3:33 pm
VSG on 11/08/17

So I start my pre-op diet tomorrow at lunch, I feel like I want to have one last good breakfast with all the trimmings. Is that wrong of me? Over the last two days we had a crawfish boil for a friend (protien correct?) and am considering a nice breakfast, not huge but pancakes and bacon. Then liquid diet at lunch till surgery.

Thoughts?

Ken

Ken 5'10" VSG HW-290 SW-265 CW-265 Surgery 11/08/2017

https://trendweight.com/u/31d3fd3359fa4e/

White Dove
on 10/27/17 2:38 am - Warren, OH

The whole last meal thing is meaningless because there is no food that you can never eat again.

You will be allowed to eat anything but you will be smart enough to chose not to eat things that will impede your progress.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NoraM13
on 10/27/17 3:57 am
VSG on 08/21/17

This may not work for you (I'm not even sure it's going to work for me). Holiday baking and candy making is an important tradition for me, and this year my son is finally old enough to help. I'm gluten intolerant and usually make all my cookies gluten free, but this year will make them all with regular flour so I'm not tempted to eat them. I'm also going to make the candies that other people love (candies orange peel and marshmallows) but that I don't really care for. Are there things you can make that you don't really like to eat? I'm hoping it makes the season feel more "normal".

5'2" VSG: 8/21/17 HW: 261 SW:243 CW: 193

Pre-Op: 15 M1: 19.8 M2: 10.5 M3: 13.7

supershopper
on 10/27/17 6:04 am

I love to bake and make candy also- I do it for the love of it- for people. NOT to eat it. If you switch your thoughts to service instead of eating it will help. :)

And yes you can eat some of those things or substitutes of those things in the future. maybe NOT during losing phase but after in maintenance.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/17 6:31 pm

Depending on when you have your surgery,you may not feel like making candies or cookies this year.

Making them with and for others sounds like a good plan. I would avoid making something that was my very favorite.but that is just me.. Your tastes will change and the amount you are able to eat will change. You will once again be able to eat your favorites in moderation when out with family. You just must figure it into you whole plan. If someone else also likes your favorite foods, pre plan to have a couple of tablesppons of it from their order, and share something you get with them.

Things that are real temptations now may not be after a while... and your tastes will change several times. Learn to embrace these changes.... I flipped from loving sweets to craving dill pickles...now I don't want to see a dill pickle..and only eat foods that are sweet that I make by remaking recipes for less sugar and stevia for replacer...( cant use asparatane,splenda or saccharin..).

If there is something you crave, set a limit .... a half ounce of ice cream is not as hard to recover from as 4 ounces. Complete denial leads to feelings of being deprived. When our bodies reject foods we learn eventually, and it is just compliance..

Consider practicing counting your fluid ounces of liquids, and your proteins and learning to keep track of it as " second nature". learn to estimate by guessing and then measuring the portions you choose. You will use these skills for the rest of your life and they will prove invaluable..

You alone will be responsible to maintain your diet and embrace the wonderful tool you will be equiped with. Find non-food rewards to encourage you to meet short term goals..

Good for you on loosing the word dieting... you are making a lifestyle change. Hang in there you can do this... don't sweat it. keep talking to family about your decision and your fears and theirs. Having family on board will remain a improtant as they are important to you.

Most Active