Panni or Total Knee Replacement?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/8/17 10:25 am - OH
On November 7, 2017 at 11:25 PM Pacific Time, AnnieOB99 wrote:

Hi there

I am 60 yrs old, had a rny in 04, a total knee replacement in '15, and now my other knee is starting to give me fits.

I know how hard it is to go thru a total knee replacement, and Im thinking perhaps a panni or tummy tuck could be an alternative.

At the time of my 1st knee surgery, I was advised to not schedule the 2nd knee for a while because often times the 2nd knee will feel better when the first knee is fixed and your walking stature is corrected.

In my research on tummy tucks, Im finding the skin thats removed doesnt weigh all that much. But, having that skin gone has got to free you up to be so much more active, and easier to lose more weight....which would lighten the load on my knee.

Is there anyone here that has had a tummy tuck and knee issues that could share their experiences?

Thanks!

If your knee is causing so much pain that ou are considering getting it replaced, getting rid of 5 pounds of excess skin is NOT going to make you more active and help you lose weight. Getting the knee replaced (I have had both of mine done), however, will.

I'm a little confused by the advice to wait on the second knee because it might feel better once the first one is corrected. Either you have the damage that requires replacement of the knee or you don't. Just a minor adjustment to your gait after replacement of one knee isn't going to change the damage in the other knee... and if it isn't damaged enough to warrant replacement, you should find ways to deal with the discomfort until it IS. The replacement knees have a much shorter life than our natural one (and you can only do two replacements in your lifetime), so you don't want to replace it until you really need to, and if you are considering having a panniculectomy instead of replacing your knee, your knee obviously isn't causing enough trouble to need replaced!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 11/8/17 1:34 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If both are about mobility get them both done.

A panni is not going to remove a significant amount of weight, although some Docs will remove fat and skin. My Lower Body Lift - which is front and back was only 4 ½ pounds of skin. Not enough to make a significant difference in a decision on knee replacement.

The decisions really are mutually exclusive.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MickeyDee
on 11/10/17 9:07 pm

I haven't had any plastic surgery for skin removal, but my double TKR in 2014 was the best thing that ever happened to me. No more pain is TERRIFIC!!

Most Active