laziness vs/ lack of energy..

Donna L.
on 11/13/17 5:56 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Things that will sap energy and motivation both:

• Vitamin deficiencies - even with a sleeve one must supplement for life. Non-negotiable for the RNY and deadly for the DS to not do so.
  • Depression or anxiety.
  • ADHD.
  • Poor sleep hygeine, that is, bad sleep habits. Fitful sleep will sap energy. Sleep apnea is a huge culprit here too.
  • Poor nutrition/food choices - too much sugar stimulates dopamine which messes with the brain mechanisms that deal with motivation as a result - this happens with ADHD people, too.
  • Being tired from being genuinely busy.
  • Chronic pain.
  • Any chronic illness.
  • Thyroid issues.
  • Pituitary issues.
  • Hormonal issues.
  • Being an introvert in high stimulation/high intensity people situations
  • Being an extrovert in low stimulation/sparse people situations

Motivation is also like martial arts - you don't start out as a black belt. You work on it every day and build it up. You also must know yourself really well and your habits. For instance, sometimes I don't want to eat low carb. Strangely despite this I feel the desire to eat 1 million cupcakes, so I have to refocus and reinforce my motivation.

Motivation can be taught, but we have to practice it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/14/17 10:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I only read quickly through the other responses -- but you've had some of the best answer you -- so I will only add this: I also started over 340 pounds. I didn't really feel the energy boon until I was under 200 pounds.

It's a lot for your body to lose 100 pounds. You are still carrying another 100 extra pounds. That's a lot of extra work while you are getting very few calories (that's why you are losing!) --

Next time you are at the grocery, pick up a 50 lb bag of dog food. Carry it down the aisle. See if it isn't a lot more effort that when you are NOT carrying that bag of dog food. Guess what, you are carrying TWO of them. You were carrying four! -- That takes a lot of energy and energy is supplied via calories. In fact, that is what a calories IS: energy. You are taking in few of them because you are losing weight.

Of course you are still a bit tired.

The addition of being anemic, vitamin D deficient, deficient in B12 -- this is serious. YOU NEED TO REMEDY THAT IMMEDIATELY. You need to supplement consistently for the rest of your life. No excuses.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1326 views