Ketogenic Diets and Mental Health

Donna L.
on 11/10/17 5:47 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I figured this might interest some peeps here. Dr. Georgia Ede, a fabulous psychiatrist, wrote this article a few months ago and I only just saw it! It's definitely worth checking out. Even if you don't eat a super low-carb diet, or are in ketosis, this might be a decent read nonetheless :)

And no, individuals can't necessarily replace psych meds with diet, however it's interesting to me just how much of our health we relinquish control of when we live to eat instead of eating fuel to survive. I wonder sometimes if I'd have wound up with depression had I learned that lesson sooner.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/diagnosis-diet/201706/k etogenic-diets-psychiatric-disorders-new-2017-review

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Au_Contraire
on 11/10/17 9:05 pm

Interesting! Thanks for this info!

Kristi T.
on 11/11/17 10:52 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Just booked marked it and will read this afternoon, thank you for sharing.

karenp8
on 11/11/17 10:54 am - Brighton, IL

Thanks for sharing Donna. I too struggled with both obesity and depression most of my life and was left wondering the same thing.

NYMom222
on 11/11/17 12:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Interesting article, what I really thought was interesting is near the end she had a linked article for cautions before you go on a Keto diet..... and one of the medical conditions she says you should do it only with medical supervision is Bariatric surgery.

Funny for all my adding carbs for my own medical reasons- when I see my macros on MFP I am still usually 50% fat, 25% each carbs and protein.... I love my MCT oil- liquid coconut oil in my morning latte. I tried one day last week to leave it out to see if I'd miss it- as it's just one more special thing to buy- and I missed it. Really missed it. Not sure why per se but I am hooked on using it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Fredbear
on 11/11/17 10:10 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I don't get the coconut oil fad... if you look at the macros, you're better off eating lard than nasty coconut oil products.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Gwen M.
on 11/12/17 7:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I love cooking with "nasty" coconut oil products. It works really well for stir fries and curries.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

califsleevin
on 11/12/17 9:58 pm - CA

The rapidity with which coconut oil hit the scene makes one a bit suspicious that someone has been working to reposition it from a cheap commodity oil sold in bulk to the food processors and fast food chains to a high margin boutique product sold through the likes of Whole Foods. There's no question that it's a good high temperature cooking oil (why it's long been used for french fries and KFC), but the trendy thing of adding it to everything, or making sweetened fat balls, does seem to hit the fad button just a bit.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

califsleevin
on 11/13/17 1:45 pm - CA

Back when low fat diets were the "in" thing, the science (same science that we have today, btw) had some findings that fats were triggering, crave inducing and addicting (I know, contrary to keto doctrine, but we're talking science here, not religion....) Given that fats had been the predominant dietary abuse at the time, it is worth considering. Try treating your apparent coconut oil trigger/craving as one would today treat a simple carbohydrate trigger - avoid it for 3-4 days and see if that cures it. It's worth a try, what have you got to lose?

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

NYMom222
on 11/13/17 2:01 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't see it as a negative... just an unusual thing I tried and ended up really liking, my blood work improved as well. I feel it helps with hunger as well. I don't do bulletproof coffee and all that just add it to my coffee and fairlife milk latte.

Since it hasn't had negative effects Health-wise, in maintenance low volume ways to add calories work.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active