good multivitamin with low to no iron?

teresafr
on 11/29/17 10:39 am
RNY on 08/14/17

Hi everybody I was just wondering if anybody knew of a good multivitamin that does not have iron in it or a lower amount of iron in it?

Even though I do have low iron issues now and in the past iron pills cause serious constipation issues and leafy green vegetables and Meats do not seem to help. Infusions work well though and I would rather that then deal with constipation. I've been diagnosed with ibs-c.

Although my doctor swears multivitamins do not cause constipation no matter how much iron is in them I have a whole lifetime of history that says otherwise. I have wanted to be healthy in the past and started taking multivitamins many times throughout my life and had to stop them because of a constipation issue. Especially those prenatals ugh.

The doctor was rather mad because I wasn't taking multivitamins but I I'm already experiencing constipation after surgery to the point of hemorrhoids and no amount of Metamucil is going to clear that up..

So to prove to him that I'm willing to try it his way I need a multivitamin with low iron and I'm going to try my Metamucil AGAIN twice a day for a month or until I'm hospitalized LOL. Why can't doctors just understand that some people know their bodies a little bit better than others ugh.

THANKS FOLKS

Janet P.
on 11/29/17 10:46 am

Centrum Silver Adult 50+ (the green one) has no iron. The ones specifically for Women 50+ have a small amount of iron.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

califsleevin
on 11/29/17 12:52 pm - CA

Likewise, the Costco/Kirkland Mature Multi (which is probably an analog to Centrum Silver, tho it doesn't specifically say so on the label) has no iron in it.

As an FYI, I have used Solgar's Gentle Iron, iron bisglycinate, in a double dose to rebuild ferratin levels without major issue, so that may be worth experimenting with, if only to spread out the infusions some. YMMV.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

pammieanne
on 11/29/17 10:52 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Try Miralax instead of Metamucil... you will see a world of difference. And if you are really backed up, do 2 scoops a day until that resolves itself.

I'm not able to speak of the iron, but I know there are different types that do NOT cause constipation... hopefully our more knowledgeable folks will come by and speak to that for you. I think it's Ferratin, but I'm not positive... and that might be completely wrong.

In any case, Metamucil only gives me gas and bloating... Miralax brings the poop gods down to smile upon me Ha!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/29/17 12:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

What type of iron have you taken in the past? There are some that are easier on the stomach than others. Lots of people on OH have good luck with carbonyl iron.

It's also somewhat common to take iron along with something to help "move everything along." I take a Colace (stool softener) with my morning iron pills, and Metamucil fiber capsules with the evening dose.

Are you taking your calcium at the same time as your iron? Do you drink a lot of tea? Both of those can inhibit iron absorption and may have caused issues.

Yes, you know your own body best-- but science isn't built on single observations. That's not how medicine works! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

The Salty Hag
on 11/29/17 2:10 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I take Centrum Silver or the Sam's Club version of it. I take a separate iron supplement since I need it, but can't stomach ( haha!! ) the type of iron used in most regular multis.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Laura in Texas
on 11/30/17 2:39 am

Same here.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Valerie G.
on 11/30/17 5:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Centrum Silver is a good multi for you.

Other things to help are eating plenty of fat, good hydration. I also get constipated with iron, but chelated iron is nice and gentle for me. It's the only one that doesn't bind me up.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1360 views