Things moving swiftly towards surgery...therapy

theAntiChick
on 12/5/17 11:35 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

YES YES YES.

I started therapy even before I was 100% sure I was going to have surgery. I knew my food issues needed addressed whether I had WLS or not. I knew I was an emotional eater and have some stress responses to certain kinds of food, but I didn't think I was a binge eater. I found a great therapist who specializes in eating disorders and body image issues, and she said I definitely was describing some binge behavior. So while I wasn't diagnosed with BED, some of the work we did was around that.

I credit therapy as much as the WLS in my success so far. I'm 15 months out from VSG, started therapy almost 2 years ago. I mostly have the emotional eating under control, and no longer binge at all. As many others have said, the surgery can't fix your brain just your stomach. It's a great idea to address the brain issues as well.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

VSGAnn2014
on 12/5/17 4:12 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I second (third, fourth, fifth, et al.) what others above have said. I was sleeved 3 years and nearly 4 months ago. I started therapy 3 years and 6 months ago.

It's been incredibly helpful to me and so supportive of my weight loss, but even more supportive of my weight maintenance. What I get out of therapy is support and skillz for dealing with life's continuing, never-ending, stresses.

If you are hoping that post-op you will NOT use food to comfort yourself, numb yourself, endure boredom, celebrate Tuesday nights, ignore the guilt you feel when you procrastinate, can't confront the fact that you already ate something you didn't want to eat and shouldn't have eaten, etc., then ... yes, consider therapy.

Better still, find a good therapist and start therapy ASAP.

Best wishes!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1476 views