Question for the vets: Fear of regain

Erin T.
on 12/9/17 9:35 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Trust me, I've considered this and it doesn't help my over-analytical brain. But I'm right now I'm happily maintaining by staying between 1,600-2,200 calories per day. So I figure having a range is better than some specific calorie number.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

CC C.
on 12/9/17 1:13 pm

Great idea! LizWantsHealthForAll suggested watching my average weekly calories rather than stressing about the day to day amounts. It's been helpful so far.

Erin T.
on 12/9/17 1:25 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I wear a chest strap HRM while I work out and then I input my calorie burn into MFP. At the end of the week, it spits out a report telling me total calories eaten and burned. I figure out my net calories from that. It turns out to be somewhere between 1,500-1,700 normally.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

sweetpotato1959
on 12/14/17 9:38 am, edited 12/14/17 1:38 am

I find it helpful to vary my Protein/carbs day by day...with a range for each...one day will be within the top side of range and the next can be on the low end of my desired range, and a day in medium.

.. It generally keeps me from having long plateaus. I count protein, carbs and water/fluids.., but system can be used effectively with those who count calories.

Everyones needs vary,but using general method may help others, especially as we near our goals, and maintain.

Denise
H.A.L.A B.
on 12/10/17 2:06 pm

In that situation- I wish you could relax. Unless you eat out every day, a few times a day, eating out can be for me like a practice. When I do that -or eat at my Friend's- or family house, I follow rules : always eat proteins, place proteins on your plate first- by now you should be able to judge how much is 4-6 oz of proteins. Then add 1-2 Tbs of low carb veggies. Add some no calories or low calorie condiment (mustard) and eat slowly. If you are still hungry after that- eat more proteins.

I always have protein heavy snacks in my car and in my purse. If there is no food I should eat (friends - family place) I don't eat. No creamy casserole, no pizza, no pasta - etc. But - fried chicken in breading- I can always peel the breading off and eat the inside. Pizza - just the toppings- if there is not much else available (Fyi- when people order pizza - there is often chicken wings -not breaded - that can be ordered. I can eat 6-8 wings. Lemon pepper has the least carbs - I often used to take the skin off)

This are my rules when I travel. And so far - everytime I travelled in the last 9 years - and followed those rules - I always lost weight. Even during cruises. Order proteins and ask for veggies. Butter on a side. Desserts,- fresh berries and or SF jello. I lost weight even when I did not plan to or needed to.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VSGAnn2014
on 12/8/17 4:08 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I was sleeved 3 years and 4 months ago.

I'm not afraid of regain, but I have a healthy respect for the law of cause and effect. I'm also a daily tracker and daily exerciser.

I've lost 100+ pounds and have maintained it through some of life's slings and arrows (spouse's cancer, stepchild's death, mother's death, a cancer scare of my own, two relocations,

As my VSG maintenance buddies here know, I'm fond of picking a "theme for the day." My theme for today comes from the Buddha: "The mind is everything. What you think you become."

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Gwen M.
on 12/8/17 6:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"I have a healthy respect for the law of cause and effect"

I think this sums it up well for me. I don't fear regain because I believe in cause and effect. So I know that I won't regain due to something outside of my control and, since I DO have the control, I don't fear it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/8/17 5:01 am

At one time I "lost the fear of regain" and become less careful. I regained 35 lbs, when I really wanted to gain 5-10 lbs (i got too thin- too low body fat%)

It took me 2 years of hard work to lose the regain and stabilize my weight.

Now I know not to become overconfident .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/17 5:39 am
VSG on 10/11/16

There are different kinds of fear. There is terror, the fear that most of us associate with the word. Then there is an older meaning - respect.

I am a professional woodworker. I have run my business for 25 years, and before that I did it as a hobby. I still have all 10 fingers. One of the reasons for that is I fear - i.e. respect - what my tools can do to me if I am not careful. Every single time I go into my shop, I think, "this could be the time". I've had some close calls, but by never forgetting to fear the tools, I have done very well.

It is the same way for me now with food. I do not fear the things that made me fat. I do respect them, and what they can do to me. When I find myself in a situation where the opportunity to fail in my diligence presents itself, I say to myself, "This is the thing that made me fat. I will not give in to it." This gets me past the chocolate milk fridge in the grocery store. It gets me through the line at Dunkin Donuts with coffee only instead of a bag of donuts. As long as I order my life properly, I only have to expend this kind of effort for short periods of time. In other words, I do not keep a bag of Oreos in the cabinet. That makes life a little easier. If it isn't here, I need not fear, and all that.

If you are a sci fi nut like I am, perhaps you may find some comfort in this. I read it for the first time back in the early 70s, and it stuck with me. It is from Dune, by Frank Herbert.

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

theAntiChick
on 12/13/17 11:50 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I think I love you. Not many people quote Dune.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1421 views