Ashley in Belgium
on 12/10/17 4:20 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

^^^This exactly

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

rce884
on 12/9/17 9:08 am
RNY on 09/05/17

So much wisdom in this post. i have learned so much reading the responses. i am still a newbie, but i have wondered if this fear i feel would be permanent. fraud is the perfect word for it. i feel like a fraud. but knowing others have felt it,and moved past it is liberating. thank you to everyone who posted here and especially to Mahonia R. who posted originally it was so helpful

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Batwingsman
on 12/10/17 11:53 am - Garland, TX

All I can say is that it can and does happen .. No use in "scale denial" ..

My personal story, utilizing the supposedly fool-proof DS procedure:

1- Starting weight was 461 lbs., 61 BMI (i.e. "super obese").

2- Lost approximately 210 lbs. in 10 months following surgery in 8/06 (a "record" for my surgeon's previous patients), going down to 251 lbs.

3- Before the end of year 1, I noticed a very gradual increase in weight taking place. This was very frustrating, being that I had wished to get down to the 180s (IIRC, 251 was "obese").

4- Weight regain was still fairly slow, but steady, over the next 8-9 years, finally hitting 300 again.

5- Within the past two years or so, weight has floated between 324 and 330. This means I have regained about 1/3 of what I lost originally (i.e. EWL). I know some folks would point to that as "not bad" @ 16 years post-op, as many WLSers, esp. non-DSers, have regained more than that amount within that same period of time (or less). . Even the nurse to one major WLS (DS) surgeon has told me that WLS should not be considered a failure until and unless the patient regains at least 50% of their EWL. Oh well, at least my lipid levels (with the sole exception of my triglycerides @ last blood check) are still well within normal levels and my diabetes, although somewhat returned, only requires oral meds and not insulin again.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/12/17 7:36 pm - Burleson, TX

PAUL - You are NOT NOT NOT a failure!! Not even a SEMI one! You can get back on track, lose that regain, and keep on going, to your original goal, if that is what you want to do. You just have to WANT it!

There are a million things I don't know jack about, but I DO know about regain/reloss/regain/reloss...I was a hot mess...It took me 9 YEARS to get to goal, but I'm 16 years out, now, and stay at about 15-20 pounds BELOW goal...and I'm 60 years old...with no plastics...I am proof ANYTHING can be done, if you can get mad enough, at yourself, and want to change!

I will absolutely help you, any way I possibly can

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

kc82
on 1/3/18 11:37 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

I do not consider myself a vet, however I am nearing 5 years post-op VSG. I still fear regain, every day. But I never looked at that as a bad thing. To me it's a good thing because if I stop fearing it, I feel I may become to lax and slip back into bad habits. So it's always there in the back of my mind and I think about it at least once a day. It doesn't interfere with how I feel, but that thought it always there. A constant reminder that I do not want to go back where I came from.

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

Most Active