NSV - New Job

diane S.
on 12/23/17 1:15 pm

Are they running shoes or walking? Running shoes sort of tilt me forward.

And hey, my mom had a number of CNAs who were working on being RNs. They were excellent and so good to her. She had round the clock care for the last 4 years of her life. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/17 3:35 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

They are running shoes. Here is the pair I bought http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-ghost-10-womens-running-shoes/120246.html

seattledeb
on 12/23/17 10:56 pm

Brooks are good. I found that a kind of shoe would work for a while then I would have to change out. Also if you lose more weight you might find that you need a different type of size of shoe.

Career ladder nurses are the best. I started out as a ward clerk when I was 16. I was a pscyh aide and then a LPN. As a LPN I gave meds to 60 people twice a shift. Fun times. Then I got my RnBSN. Each job paid for my next rung up the ladder. Good luck to you in school.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/17 11:24 pm

Congratulations and good luck.

As someone who is in her late 50's - please take care of your back. In my 30's and early 40's - I felt invisible. I could lift and carry anything. In my mid 40's my back went out and it haven't been the same. I know I abused it in my younger days. I am paying for it now.

Please please - don't be like me. In back pain every day. Please look into a back support, and take care of your body.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/17 5:20 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you! I am very concerned with my back, I try to actively protect it by lifting properly and NOT trying to strong man things I don't need to. Thankfully I'm aware that my back will be invaluable and since I'm still in my 20's, I want to keep it for a long time

Shannon S.
on 12/26/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Yes please be careful. I slipped a disc and had to have emergency surgery to repair it due to complications. I'm sure my time on the floor didn't help. Although I was dumb and in such a time crunch many nights I used to do many things on my own that I shouldn't have. Like yourself, I also started out as a CNA and did this throughout nursing school. It's a tough gig. Be careful, and thank you for all that you do!

Shannon S.
on 12/24/17 8:50 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I wore allegria when I was a nurse on the floor. Best things I have ever put on my feet. Totally worth the investment, and you can replace the insoles when they wear out. I tried everything, New balance, Nike's, crocks. Once I purchased those I could do 12+ hour shifts with no foot pain, and they cured my plantar fasciitis.

MarinaGirl
on 12/24/17 10:59 am

Do you mean Alegria Shoes by PG Lite - Professional Collection?

https://alegriashoes.com/collections/professional-collection

Shannon S.
on 12/24/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Yes, I used to wear the Paloma style (I believe that is how it is spelled). These shoes are truly awesome. They last forever, and the company sells inserts for 25.00, and you can keep replacing them to make them last longer.

theAntiChick
on 12/26/17 7:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

First thing I learned as a student nurse, protect your back and feet. Never EVER scrimp on shoes when you are on your feet all day. When I was an ICU nurse, the best shoes for me were Dansko clogs. ICU is a lot of standing and up and down and not as many steps. When I moved to ER and started doing 15k steps a shift, I had to move to a walking shoe. I tried several and ended up rotating between an Abeo (Walking Company brand) and a Dansko lace-up. Everyone's feet are different, so find what works for you. Custom orthotics can be a lifesaver if you have foot issues.

The other thing is, if you haven't already, get some good compression socks. Makes ALL the difference at the end of a shift!!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet