Update/Concerns

Lyds85
on 1/22/18 12:56 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Its been a few months since I have been on here and I still have not had my gastric bypass due to other annoying health stuff that came up. It has been so INSANE but slowly I am reaching this goal of surgery. My highest ever weight was 535 and now im 425, so Im happy about that.

I started this process for surgery in May 2017, Ive done the 6 month diet and most of my pre op appts. Im down to the last 3 appts. (Abdominal ultrasound, physical, and endoscope)

I have also since started a part time job just to help with finances as i have been out of work because of my health issues. Well 2 of my appts are on days im supposed to work and i really cant just change them. I also have not said anything to my new employer about the surgery and wanted to wait until i have a real date to tell her.

I feel like a total flake just starting this job and already needing to ask for time off. And i feel like im maybe being untruthful. I probably should have waited til after the surgery to work, but I really need the money. How do I approach this situation and keep my new job? I feel like whatever I do now I will come off as a flake/@$$hole.

theAntiChick
on 1/22/18 1:11 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

First off, CONGRATS on losing 110# before surgery. That's AMAZING.

I would first check with your surgeon's office to see if they can change the appointments. They sometimes have cancellations or other ways to work you in so you don't have to take time off wor****il absolutely necessary. It's worth a call, I would think.

Then, if you still have to take off, you are not obligated to give your employer any medical details. You can simply say you have to be at these appointments and have been unable to schedule them for times when you're not scheduled to work. A lot will depend on the nature of your part time job. If it's something like retail or other customer service work where someone has to cover for you then it could create an issue. If it's something that you can arrange to make up the work another day/time, I'd offer that.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

NYMom222
on 1/22/18 1:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you are sure you can't change them, then you just have to dive in and ask.

You wouldn't be the first person with an appointment that conflicts with work. Not know what type of job and the variables I would offer to switch or 'make it up' just be as agreeable as possible.

When I had my son, between interviewing and accepting a new job and actually starting I found out I was pregnant. I waited 3 months to tell them, but I totally get the awkwardness. When I said yes to the job I didn't know, but again should it have really made a difference?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathy S.
on 1/22/18 1:33 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lyds85,

YES, congratulations for the awesome weight loss. What a great start.... This journey can have a lot of twist and turns and speed bumps along the way. I agree with the other poster...call the surgeons office and see if there are any options for you not to take time off....if not ask they how long could you put this on hold? You may not want to do so but perhaps job wise it would help to clock some days until you ask for time off.

That being said you are there, you have interacted with the people involved and you know best on how to proceed. Be sure and keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Lyds85
on 1/22/18 1:54 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Thank you for your replies. My job is at a home daycare. i work for this lady on tuesdays and thursdays in her home. The appts that i need can only be scheduled on those same days for some reason idk why i guess thats when the dr is there or something. I think i will just request the days off and she will just have to be mad or fire me. This surgery is really really important and ive worked so hard for it. I guess there are always other jobs right? ?

peachpie
on 1/22/18 4:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So what you need to to go through with your appointments. You'll be far more valuable to any employer healthy.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Lyds85
on 1/22/18 4:29 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Thats a great point, thank you! Its a lot more clear now what I need to do.

NYMom222
on 1/23/18 2:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They can't expect that you will never have a conflict on those days. I am assuming there is someone covering M-W-F? Maybe they can switch? This is important, so you have to do it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lyds85
on 1/23/18 7:17 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Update:

I ended up quitting my job. It was just too much to deal with trying to get my appts off and I was getting super stressed. My surgery is supposed to be at the end of Feb. so I will just go find another job or see if I can get my job back after I recover. I have worked so hard to get this surgery and Im just not willing to put it off anymore, even if money is crazy tight. Me and hubby will work it out. I SO need this surgery!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/24/18 8:03 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Good for you!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active