Lyds85
on 2/6/18 2:02 am
RNY on 02/20/18

It sounds like you need to talk to the surgeons office regarding this

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/6/18 8:32 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On February 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, Newbie2U wrote:

I started my liquid diet on Tuesday. I made it through Saturday night. I have tried numerous protein shakes, (Premiere, SlimFast High Protein, Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade, EAS AdvantEdge, pea protein vanilla) and I'm getting nauseous on all of them. Not just a little bit of nausea, but throw up any minute nauseous. On two I did throw up.

After trying to stomach SOMETHING on Sunday, and being unable to, I finally broke down and got some food. It even tasted awful, and I remained nauseous until I got the remnants of pea protein powder out of my system.

I feel like such a failure. I'm scheduled to see my surgeon this Wednesday.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CJ On Orcas
on 2/6/18 9:22 am, edited 2/6/18 1:23 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Tough love approach. This forum is for people dealing with a very difficult situation (WLS) that has real consequences if you do not follow the surgeon's guidelines. When I first came here it was tough to hear what I did not want to hear sometimes. My suggestion is that you look elsewhere for moral support but here if you want the truth about what to expect and honest feedback if you ask a question. These people have been in the trenches and have actually done the difficult work and lost their weight.

I am only 17 months out from RNY. I have lost 110 pounds because I listened to the advice these people gave me.

*edited because I cannot spell

Queen JB
on 2/6/18 9:40 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Agreed--everyone should have moral support and depending on the context, you CAN get it here. But there is a time and place for moral support and there is a time and a place for getting your questions answered honestly.

It can't be the same or people would never get the answers they need to be successful.

I am an educator. Trust me--it sucks to tell a kid who worked hard that they got an answer wrong! But I'd rather hurt their feelings for an afternoon and actually help them learn, than let them feel "supported", and never teach them anything.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/6/18 10:15 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Girl, I don't want to tell you to get a grip, but relax a little. Beating yourself up isn't going to do you any good. Pick yourself back up & talk to your surgeon, nutritionist, therapist etc to get yourself back on track cuz it doesn't get any easier after surgery.

I'm not gonna tell you if you screwed up pre op that it automatically means you'll be a screw up after surgery, but you're gonna have to buckle down cuz post op you can do some serious damage to yourself by "giving in" to food.

Pre op diet is hard, I had 4 weeks of liquids pre op, 2 weeks post op. The **** was not easy! I missed using my teeth & yes I missed food. But I realized I had years of eating my way, it wasn't gonna kill me to eat someone else's way, especially when it came to surgery. It was the one time that I could do everything I could to make the surgery safer for me. So I whined into my broth, sucked it up & kept going.

Build up your wl team now so when you hit the bumps in the road, you'll have the support you need to keep going. Be patient, you're in for a hell of a ride!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Newbie2U
on 2/6/18 11:11 am

Thank you for a thoughtful, decent reply.

Newbie2U
on 2/6/18 11:17 am

Thank you for your reply. It was what I was originally hoping for...frank, yet supportive.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/6/18 12:03 pm

A bigger question is : are you allergic to anything in the protein shakes?

You may be. If that is the case - you need to find out BEFORE WLS. I know a lady who almost died and spent 2 months in a hospital post op WLS. Only then some one suggested allergies testing and they found out she was allergic to whey, artificial sweeteners (splenda, aspartame, etc) and fructose. Every time she tried to drink protein shake - she would get a reaction. They had to put a feeding tube inside, to give her nutrition and even water.

I personally developed whey- dairy protein allergies and soy, and corn, etc a few years post op RNY. Not cool. but so far post op I don't need shakes to maintain good level of proteins.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 2/6/18 2:32 pm, edited 2/6/18 6:33 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Having trouble doesn't mean we are failures. However, you need to contact your surgeon's office ASAP and tell them, as it could be another issue unrelated to surgery. They are the ones who can best advise you going forward. Anyone on the internet will just be shooting in the dark as to what you should do to resolve nausea. It is possibly a more complex/serious issue, and you should contact them immediately.

Much of the other advice is relevant, though, and they will be able to determine if it's a GI issue, allergies, or sensitivities. As Hala mentioned you really want to know before surgery, because not getting protein after surgery can be potentially life-threatening.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

HonestOmnivore
on 2/6/18 4:04 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

There are some powerful anti nausea meds out there- if you need to take some for the time or so you are on a liquid diet it might help you make it through - talk to your doctor.

Also, depending on where you live, there may be other options for anti nausea?

Remember too that your head is playing a big roll in this. Not being able to hold down a protein drink doesn't mean you HAVE to resort to solid food. If you can drink a protein shake you can likely have strained soups - check with your doctor... What is the minimum amount of protein your doctors needs you do consume each day prior to surgery? Figure out how to get that into your system and drink plenty of water and while it will be miserable as your body SCREAMS for calories - you CAN do it.

While some people wake up from surgery feeling hungry, most of us don't even WANT food for a few days. It will be worth it! You can do this!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Most Active