Reactive Hypoglycemia After RNY - what was your worst?

Erin T.
on 2/9/18 3:15 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

The intense desire to sleep was always the icing on the **** cake!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/18 9:49 am

I found cereal to be a trigger too.. plain corn flakes. Just a cup all it takes!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/18 4:26 pm, edited 2/9/18 9:38 am

My worst episode was in my wedding dress ( beautiful spaghetti strapped silk shantung , very classic) ... my husband and I were checking out the chocolate fountain at the Bellagio in Vegas where we were honeymooning.

He got some comped ice cream, banana , chocolate Oreo and whipped cream confection... I ( who had done some hours in a sauna the night before to lose the flab out of my armpits so it wouldn?t ruin the pictures .. then sweated bullets trying to get my hair and nails done and the wedding dress steamed that day without appointments ) ate ... well , definitely too much of same. I don?t remember eating or drinking anything before that out of constant busyness with the dress ,hair ,nails ,wedding prep and a desire to have good pictures ( what?s the point of a sauna if you drink after , right?)

Next thing you know I didn?t know whether to roll around on the floor in agony , barf or both. ( mind you.. im wearing my full length wedding dress; big skirt, full fifties style waist length bra with stays choking me even more.. really a CRINLOLINE of an underskirt a cashmere -rabbit fur handmade shrug , hair ornament and corsage of live orchids and ridiculously high rhinestones heels .. oy !

Boy would have we been conspicuous! Thank God our suite was just up the elevator... barely made it.. EXPLODED in the bathroom regardless of who heard .. the bottom line was our wedding night ended up being ordered-in pizza movies and a fart competition ( don?t tell ANYBODY ) Actually it was childish fun lol. The next morning we slept like the dead - probably a reaction to RH for both of us ( my hubby also had bariatric surgery years before )

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/18 3:21 am, edited 2/9/18 7:22 pm

This sound possibly more like dumping then RH? I could be wrong. with RH I don't throw up, more the other symptoms like confusion , heart racing, feel yourself going deeper into a confused state , sweating, sleepy, then hungry until you eat enough sugar and protein to pull out of it. Not usually stuffed as it is a couple hours after eating something with carbs or higher sugar or for me from skipping or eating lunch too late past like 2:00pm.

(edited for iPhone autocorrect errors)

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/18 5:10 pm

I got it once in the grocery store too and started getting out of it and luckily my husband was with me and had experienced me with it before. I was so out of it but as most people know the tail end of it you get ravenous and so confused... I started loading up the grocery cart with random stuff!! Could not make complete sentences.Crazy lady! He got some Werthers (probably not the best thing but I had one in the store and another in the car )he went and put me in the car! (Went back in and checked out)

My last really bad one was last year my husband not home and I got tired went to bed .. my girls were over me and could not wake me were screaming my name, clapping in my face and my eyes were open, just staring but I did not hear them...I jolted awake finally and went to the kitchen and had a eating frenzy... to me it is like being drunk.... head gets all sweaty , confused , can't really speak and eventually hungry. Then you come out of it totally exhausted and shot for the day. This one scariest as my kids involved and hard time waking me. They said scary as my eyes wide open! This was all from when I was not on plan.... once I eat right I do not get it. Pure sweets or carbs like simple cereal will do it to me. Keeps me on track so not such a bad thing! I need to get a blood meter have no idea how low my sugar goes. I had never had this until probably 2-3 or so years out ...no diabetes or pre diabetes prior to my surgery.

The Salty Hag
on 2/10/18 9:35 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Oh no! Glad you were able to jolt awake. Scary stuff!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/18 9:53 am

Yes it was very scary and definitely the worst ... last one I had about a year ago.

Kathy S.
on 2/12/18 11:41 am, edited 2/12/18 3:42 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

So glad you had your husband with you

What got me was all the people that must have walked by me and said or did nothing. Hello!? Maybe they I had escaped from the mental institute or something?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/18 12:52 pm

right!!! Lol!!! You do feel crazy or drunk while You are in a RH episode. ?

Amy R.
on 2/10/18 8:10 am, edited 2/10/18 5:21 am

Wow - all of these scary stories! In a weird way it's good to know I'm not alone. And misery does love company right?

My hands down worst (so far) was at one of my daughter's swim meets. We had left home late and in a hurry; thankfully I found a seat on the bottom bleacher. Abby (DD) came up to me in the middle of the meet and asked if I was ok. And of course I said I was - Mom is always ok, right? And it wasn't unusual for her or one of her friends to come and visit a bit between heats.

Then the little boy life guard came and asked me the same thing which did actually register as kind of weird. But I thought I was just tired. Until the firemen got there.

Somehow they got me to a locker room and tested my blood sugar. It was 30. I remember asking them if that was too high. (I'd had zero experience with blood sugar). They gave me some weird tasting gel which was the absolutely most disgusting consistency anyone could possible imagine.

Mine is mostly self-regulating. Sugar. And I almost always have a dumping episode an hour or so prior to recognizing the RH. But lately it's happened a couple of times where there was no simple sugar involvement. Yay.

edited to try and catch numerous mis-spelled words

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views