Found a Surgeon Louisiana excepting Medicaid

Jencrouch_
on 2/11/18 5:09 am, edited 2/11/18 6:02 am - Springfield , La

I know that many of you are in search of a Dr. in Louisiana are in search of a bariatric surgeon. I think I may have found a doctor excepting Louisiana Medicaid. I have an appointment March 27 with a surgeon. Once I find out that this is 100% legit I will post the surgeons name. I have spent countless hours on line and on the phone trying to find a surgeon in my area that was willing to except Medicaid. The struggle is real!

catwoman7
on 2/11/18 6:19 am
RNY on 06/03/15

if he doesn't work out, do a search of the site (try using "Lousiana surgeon" (without quotes) as your search terms). This issue seems to come up every six months or so, and I seem to remember a couple of names being posted (now whether or not they're still accepting Medicaid, I don't know...)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Donna L.
on 2/11/18 7:50 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Not sure how Louisiana medicaid works, but in Illinois you can ask for a case manager. Medicaid is also required to get you a provider if you need one here, and so you can ask individual providers if they will take it just for you. This can be tricky and not all will agree, and I'm not sure if it can be done outside of Illinois. But, speak to the case manager and they can let you know if that's possible.

I generally tell everyone to try to get a case manager for medicaid, because they are super helpful to get services organized.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jencrouch_
on 2/11/18 8:17 am - Springfield , La

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely call them tomorrow! I've found a surgeon but I'm not sure what all his requirements are. Hoping I don't have to wait 6 months! I'm going to a WLS seminar before I meet with my surgeon. I figured it would not hurt to speed up the process. I know Louisiana Medicaid requires a six month supervised weight loss documentation. I wonder if there are exceptions to this requirement? I have been on a low-carb diet for the past four months but not with Dr. supervision. Since I have hypertension, high cholesterol, Gerd and fatty liver. Do to these health issues, are there any exceptions as far as the 6 month supervised weight loss requirement? Has anyone been approved through Medicaid without doing so?

Donna L.
on 2/11/18 10:25 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

In Illinois it is required to get surgery covered for Medicaid and not necessarily by the surgeons. You'd have to ask the case manager or your Medicaid provider for info specific to your state. I do not know even for Illinois, unfortunately.

It might be possible...another good reason to get a case manager too :) Some case managers are ehh, but some are quite good and helpful, actually.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jencrouch_
on 2/11/18 4:22 pm - Springfield , La

Louisiana Medicade does cover it. The problem is finding a Dr. excepting new patients.

Donna L.
on 2/11/18 5:02 pm, edited 2/11/18 9:03 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ohh, I was at work and didn't post half of what I meant. Woops.

Medicaid, by law, is required to get you treatment that you need. This means if there is no open provider to see you, it's possible to petition a single provider to take Medicaid for one client only. So like, I can take Medicaid for just one person if it's a one-time deal. That requires finding someone willing to do it so it's difficult to do - but it's possible.

Another alternative which may not be feasible would be to find a bariatric program out of state to get Medicaid. Many people here go to Indiana or Wisconsin for care along the Illinois borders if providers aren't available in-state, and it's possible for Medicaid to reimburse them. Not ideal, but possible if waits at other providers are ridiculously long, as they tend to be. I do not know how the law works there, though. I only know that it's possible here, though difficult to do.

The bigger issue is that bariatric surgery is considered an elective procedure so they may not be willing to do those things. However, it never hurts to ask the case manager. You can also petition insurance of any sort, Medicaid included, for coverage...it's just very difficult if you aren't familiar with the process. I have seen clients argue that the costs would be less for them to get covered out of state than for Medicaid to pay for obesity over the course of a lifespan. They ignored several appeals about health but listened to that one, which was both sad and unsurprising. It also took about a year to do...but they did it.

Jencrouch_
on 2/12/18 3:07 am, edited 2/11/18 7:18 pm - Springfield , La

Thanks for all of the information you have shared. I am waiting on a Surgeon to sign up with Healthy Blue, Medicade. Supposedly it should be in affect by the time of my appointment on March 27. When you call these doctors offices they try to rush you off the phone and will not give you any information or answer any of your questions. I was told that all of my questions would be answered at the time of my appointment. I really wish they would have answered some of them so, I could be somewhat prepared. I have signed up for a free seminar for WLS at a local hospital in my area. I figured it would not hurt to attend. I know so many friends and family that I just had this surgery and all the obstacles they endured along the way. I realize that everyone is different but, trying to get the ball rolling and praying I don?t have to wait six months. The reason I am trying to do whatever I can to speed this process up is because, I am loosing my Medicade coverage at the end of July, due to changes in my household. I will then have BCBS OF LOUISIANA. They do not cover WLS it is also excluded in the policy.

Krazeequtie
on 2/16/18 1:19 am

Hi, can you share the info about the free wls seminar? I live close to you and wouldn't mind attending. Thank you.

Jencrouch_
on 2/22/18 3:36 am - Springfield , La

Sure Google Baton Rouge medical center. You can book the seminar online. I am attending the seminar on May 3 at 6 PM. The address is 8585 Picardi Ave., Baton Rouge, LA.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1207 views