Dry heaves

Bob L.
on 2/12/18 5:22 am - Clarksville, TN

Hey folks it's been many years since I've been on here, I have question??

I had my bypass 10 years ago and have been able to maintain my weight all this time, 5'8" @ 155 lbs.

I understand dumping very well, so what I'm about to ask is not that.

This started about 10 months ago, where I will be totally fine one minute and then for no apparent reason I will start dry heaving. I mean without warning!

I can't find any pattern that precipatate's the dry heaves? It can happen after I eat; or on an empty stomach. It can happen at night when I sleep or when I'm awake. It can happen once and be gone instantly and feel just fine even be able to sit down immediately and eat a meal, or it can stay constant for 2 to 3 days. I never bring up anything not even the foames!

My medication has not changed at all during this time.

My doctors have run a battery of blood test; as well as having me scoped; having ct's, MRI's you name it, to no avail??

It's so unpredictable that I carry a bag in my pocket every where I go!

So if anyone has had this type of problem and they gave you a diagnosis would you please share.

Oh I still follow the rules, no straws, no gum drink after my meals, very, very little fried food, no more than 10 grams of sugar at any given time and no soda. I know I don't drink the required amount of water, but I do try to drink some every day.

Thanks Cya' Bob

Nknerr
on 2/12/18 7:11 am
VBG on 12/07/17

Is it truly dry heaves or is the esophageal spasms, which feels like dry heaves without actually heaving? I now I have esophageal spasm that feel just like dry heaves, without actually bringing anything up.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Bob L.
on 2/12/18 1:23 pm - Clarksville, TN

Thanks for your response. But it's dry heaves, I believe? The reason I say I believe, is I know what dry heaves are like. It comes from the guts and all the way up. It happens on a completely empty stomach. But I also don't know what esophagus spasms are or how close they are to dry heaves??

Bob L.
on 2/12/18 1:25 pm - Clarksville, TN

Also what do you take to combat this?

hollykim
on 2/12/18 11:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, Bob L. wrote:

I had my bypass 10 years ago and have been able to maintain my weight all this time, 5'8" @ 155 lbs.

This started about 10 months ago, where I will be totally fine one minute and then for no apparent reason I will start dry heaving. I mean without warning!

I can't find any pattern that precipatate's the dry heaves? It can happen after I eat; or on an empty stomach. It can happen at night when I sleep or when I'm awake. It can happen once and be gone instantly and feel just fine even be able to sit down immediately and eat a meal, or it can stay constant for 2 to 3 days. I never bring up anything not even the foames!

My doctors have run a battery of blood test; as well as having me scoped; having ct's, MRI's you name it, to no avail??

So if anyone has had this type of problem and they gave you a diagnosis would you please share.

Oh I still follow the rules, no straws, no gum drink after my meals, very, very little fried food, no more than 10 grams of sugar at any given time and no soda. I know I don't drink the required amount of water, but I do try to drink some every day.

Thanks Cya' Bob

get your liquid consumption.

White Dove
on 2/12/18 11:27 am - Warren, OH

Probably stomach acid. Try a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Bob L.
on 2/12/18 1:15 pm - Clarksville, TN

Thanks for your response. I know it's not acid. Which is one thing they'v checked and continue to check, I'm also on medication for that.

Bob

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/18 4:10 pm

They did an Endoscopy? Maybe get a second oppinion another Gastrinologist?

I am sure it is very uncomfortable... sorry they can't pin point what it could be.

ChristineB
on 2/12/18 4:13 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On February 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, Bob L. wrote:

Thanks Cya' Bob

I know I don't drink the required amount of water, but I do try to drink some every day.

So, how many ounces do you drink a day? I think that you are not getting enough water into your system. You need to up it to a MINIMUM of 64 oz a day. I think you will feel a whole lot better with more water. Most of us PO RNY patients get close to 100 oz a day.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Bob L.
on 2/12/18 11:46 pm - Clarksville, TN

Thanks for your suggestion!

Most Active