Surgeon is switching my surgery

Lyds85
on 2/12/18 6:47 pm
RNY on 02/20/18

Got a phone call from the surgeons office, they left a voicemail saying they want to switch my surgery on 4/20 from gastric bypass to the gastric sleeve based on the results of my endoscopy. Its too late for me to call them back but I will call tomorrow. Im freaking out because Ive gone the past 6+ months researching RNY and i dont even know anything about sleeve! Also i weight 418lbs and i feel like RNY would be more effective. Anybody know what would make them want to switch it to a sleeve or have any insight on this?

Stitch83
on 2/12/18 8:30 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Hi - I don't know anything about the reasons for switching, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of things changing suddenly on you. That can be very anxiety provoking especially when so much research has already been done. I say start looking in to VSG to gain some more knowledge. I would think that they wouldn't switch it if they did not feel it was the safest thing for you - in the end I am sure the procedure will be the one that is best meant for you and you will end up with good results, it might just take a little bit of hard work first. Fingers crossed for you that it works out either way!

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Lina_Ann
on 2/12/18 10:25 pm

I'm sorry they switched you. Just remember they are switching it for your own safety. RNY and VSG are similar. As long as you use your tool properly, your weight will go down! I promise!

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

hollykim
on 2/12/18 11:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 13, 2018 at 6:25 AM Pacific Time, Lina_Ann wrote:

I'm sorry they switched you. Just remember they are switching it for your own safety. RNY and VSG are similar. As long as you use your tool properly, your weight will go down! I promise!

rny and sleeve are really not similar st all.

One has malabsorption and one does not.

one loses the pyloric valve and one does not.

Mine can cureGERD and one can cause it.

Thry are really not similar at all.

Lina_Ann
on 2/12/18 11:54 pm

I meant recovery wise(similar, not the same) Obviously the surgeries themselves are very different....or else they would have the same name

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

jenorama
on 2/12/18 11:03 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

What were the results of the endoscopy? Were they concerned about a GERD situation not making you a suitable candidate for VSG? Was VSG ever discussed with your surgeon? You have the right to ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers. You also have the right to insist on the surgery you have discussed and prepared for if you don't feel comfortable with the surgeon's decision. They're very skilled cutters, not God.

Let us know what happens!

Jen

Valerie G.
on 2/13/18 7:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's the other way around - planning for RNY and they want to do VSG instead.

You're right, though on your assumption, for it's often the other way around because of things like GERD.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jenorama
on 2/13/18 10:13 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Right, I understood that she was initially going for RNY. I was wondering if she had a history of GERD that made the surgeon discount the idea of VSG, but the endoscopy results came out well with no evidence of GERD, so he decided to switch to VSG after all. It all seems quite arbitrary and this makes me wonder if maybe the surgeon isn't too confident of his RNY skills.

Jen

The Salty Hag
on 2/13/18 4:00 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Have you cross posted this on the VSG board? If not, that would be a good place to start. There may be someone who has had the same experience.

You can also do a search here for that type of topic.

I really hope you get answers.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Laura in Texas
on 2/13/18 4:08 am

Are you on medication? Perhaps they are worried about it's effectiveness if you have the malabsorption of the RNY.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1274 views