Surgeon is switching my surgery

Lyds85
on 2/13/18 4:37 am
RNY on 02/20/18

Yes, i have a neurological disorder which causes me to take a fist full of medication. I also take blood pressure meds.

Laura in Texas
on 2/13/18 5:09 am

That may be the reason the surgeon wants to switch.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 2/13/18 7:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

But the surgeon knew all of thst from the beginning, and would gave recommended VSG from the get-go. It wouldn't explain why an endoscopy would change his mind.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/13/18 4:09 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I've heard of doctors switching from VSG to RNY because of endoscopy results, but never the other way around. Many surgeons prefer to do VSG because it takes about half the time, and they get paid about the same.

You really need to get a lot more information.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lyds85
on 2/13/18 4:44 am
RNY on 02/20/18

At my first consult I was interested in the sleeve and the surgeon was pretty adament that at my weight that I need RNY. I dont think anybodys being sketchy, but it is just strange. I will call today for mpre info.

Valerie G.
on 2/13/18 7:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your feelings are correct and I would ask him point blank what his reason is to take away the malabsorptive component that will give you an edge on losing weight. It may just be your size that he doesn't feel comfortable with and that is HIS problem. The sleeve can be done much faster and easier than RNY. Larger patients make more obstacles on the inside, and surgeon skills differ. You may be better off seeking out another surgeon, because it just doesn't make sense to me. While you're at it, there are a couple of surgeons (2 or 3) that do the duodenal switch, which is a sleeve stomach with added malabsorptive component. It's the most aggressive and complicated of procedures, so not many surgeons perform it. While not reserved for the highest BMI's, it is considered the most effective for success with high BMI's.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

theAntiChick
on 2/13/18 7:22 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

It's upsetting to have something decided for you, and not to have all of the information as to why. I hope when you call, someone can tell you exactly what's up.

RNY was never a real consideration for me and my medical team because I have an autoimmune disorder and my team wanted to retain the option of using NSAIDs and steroids with me if needed. Also, the tissue that is removed with VSG is a large part of the inflammatory cycle, so that surgery had the potential to help my autoimmune meds work better. Right now, my autoimmune is in remission. We can't know 100% that it's because of the surgery, but I'm pretty sure it is. It's unlikely to remain in remission, but I'll take it as a gift. :)

There are other people here with autoimmune who have had excellent results with RNY and their team aggreed that RNY was better for them. So I'm not saying autoimmune means VSG. Just in my case, the team even chose to take a chance with my mild reflux because of the risk/benefit analysis. I've been lucky to have no reflux. It's possible I still have mild reflux, but I have to take a low dose of PPIs because of other meds I take, and if I do have reflux, it's being controlled with the PPIs.

Your medical team should be taking into account your entire medical picture and history, and basing the decision on your individual situation. Given that the surgeon was pushing for RNY and now wants to switch, it sounds like that's exactly what he's doing, and something tipped the scales for him.

Now, he is obligated to explain his thinking to you and get your input on the matter as well. I won't ever stay with a doctor or surgeon who won't/can't explain the rationale behind the decisions.

I hope this all gets straightened out. And that you'll update us. Like others here, I've heard lots of surgeons want to switch from VSG to RNY but not usually the reverse. My nurse's medical curiosity is piqued. :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Amy R.
on 2/13/18 8:14 am

I'm sorry this happened to you and even sorrier that you found out via voicemail. It reminds me of people dumping their significant others by text message.

The two surgeries are so different that I'm sure you'll have a lot more information after you actually speak with a knowledgeable someone in your surgeons' office. Hopefully today.

Just fyi though. It does happen and we see it occasionally here on the boards. I know of one lady who spent many, many hours researching the surgery she had planned on. She was close to ready to go when her surgery type was also changed. All of that hard work researching and planning for a certain outcome; it must feel like the rug was just pulled out from under your feet.

If you get a chance please keep us posted as to what's up. We all learn from things like this, even if we're post op.

Scorpiochic3937
on 2/13/18 9:22 am, edited 2/13/18 1:24 am

Hey, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, I know it can be nerve racking with your surgery coming up in 1 week. I would ask the nurse coordinator as many questions as I could to set you mind at ease. The informational packet that we got during the program orientation meeting has a comparison chart on the differences between the 2 procedures. That would be a good place to start.

Lipster101
on 2/13/18 9:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I'm sure they are making a change for the betterment of your health, but any changes for us cause anxiety. I actually wanted the sleeve but was advised to get the by pass because the band was ineffective and my body rejected. Many people I know went with the sleeve and have such great success and they feel good. I wish you luck on the new journey!