Surgeon is switching my surgery

Lyds85
on 2/13/18 9:47 am
RNY on 02/20/18

I was able to speak to the nurse coordinator and she was very nice and explained that the biopsy they took from my recent endoscopy showed that I have "Barrets Esophogus" and inflamation which they believe has to do with my taking so much NSAIDS. Basically the surgeon for whatever reason feels that the sleeve is a better fit for my situation. My last pre-op appt is tomorrow and she said he will be talking to me about it more in depth but they wanted to give me a heads up that the surgery had to be changed. Im not really sure what to think, so im just kind of going with it. My surgery is at a center of excellence and i trust the surgeons judgement, but im just kind of surprised.

Laura in Texas
on 2/13/18 9:57 am

Barrett's esophagus is caused by chronic acid reflux that changes the cells lining the esophagus increases the risk of adenocarcinoma.

No way in hell I would get the sleeve if I already had a problem with acid reflux. This was what led to my father's esophageal cancer.

I think you need to do more research and maybe see a different surgeon.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lyds85
on 2/13/18 10:13 am
RNY on 02/20/18

I dont have any symptoms of acid reflux and upon doing a quick google search it says you can have Barretts without acid reflux and have no symptoms. Im not sure why it would make him want to change my surgery though. I will definately be asking questions at my appt tommorrow.

jenorama
on 2/13/18 10:17 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You can definitely have silent GERD. The sleeve will create a higher pressure in your stomach, giving the acid nowhere to go but up. If it's silent now, it won't be after VSG.

Jen

jenorama
on 2/13/18 10:16 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh no. No no no. No. Barret's is a contra-indicator for VSG. Talk to the surgeon directly on this. Spend some time today doing some research on Barret's, GERD and VSG. Come armed because that makes no damn sense.

Jen

Lyds85
on 2/13/18 10:32 am
RNY on 02/20/18

Im trying to articulate what exactly I should say to them politely. Should I call the nurse back today and say something or should I wait until the appt tomorrow and speak to the surgeon? I dont want to **** somene off but im totally freaking out about this.

jenorama
on 2/13/18 10:37 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

First, don't panic. Your surgery isn't until April, correct? Take a deep breath and do research. I wouldn't talk to the nurse at this point--she's not the one making the decision or doing the cutting. Talk to the surgeon and lay out your concerns.

Listen, this is your life. You are literally putting your life in this man's hands and you are completely within your rights to make him explain himself and if you don't feel comfortable, walk out. It's likely going to delay things, but what's a couple of months vs possible GERD or another surgery down the road? Be your own advocate and do not meekly accept the word of someone you perceive as more powerful than you. If it helps, bring someone with you for support.

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 2/13/18 10:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As others said, having Barrett's Esophagus is the reason so many people are told to switch from the sleeve to RNY, not the other way around. If this is what the surgeon is saying when you meet with him, I would get an opinion from another surgeon before I committed to anything.

I wouldn't touch VSG with Barrett's with a ten foot pole.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

theAntiChick
on 2/13/18 12:33 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Definitely demand (politely, but firmly) a complete and thorough explanation.

I love my VSG and am glad I made the choice I did, but I have to agree with other people that Barrett's would automatically mean a RNY in my mind. We took a slight risk of GERD but I had only slight reflux and zero signs of Barrett's.

The only thing I can think of is a level of erosion that makes it harder or more dangerous to do a pouch than a sleeve because of where the damage is, but even that is a helluva reach IMHO.

A surgeon would have to present a heck of a case (with citations) to convince me for VSG with that finding.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

NYMom222
on 2/16/18 5:31 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If Ihad Barrett's Esophagus I would absolutely get the RNY.

My sister has Barrett's and was told she had to have RNY. She just had it in December.

Do some research.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1475 views