Very serious topic

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 2/14/18 6:05 pm - Belleville, IL

This is a very insidious disease. I am working with neurologists, my bariatric surgeon and others. It is a rare disease with no cure. It steals your mind, and personality but unlike Alzheimer's you are very aware you have it and what it happening.

There are many types of encephalathy, the kind I have is Hyperammonemic Syndrome After Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery/ Instead of boring you simply "Google it" and watch HE "Wrestling with the Monster. I am not asking for anything but to let you know I appreciate and love all my friends and family. There is no cure as of yet. Period.

If any of you KNOW a Medical Doctor who specializes in Gastroenterology, bariatric surgery or Neurology I am always willing to share medical abstracts with them from hospitals such as Baylor. etc.

Please forgive if I don't write a lot on here or respond right away unless you are a Surgeon, GI Doc or neurologist.

I no longer drive, and often have Alzheimer's or dementia like symptoms along with various seizures. This started around 2013. I want to let people know more about this including medical personnel because so many more people are having Bariatric surgery especially due to shows like "My 600 lb life" etc. Really, really, THINK before making that step.

I wish ALL of you love and harmony, I have learned from ALL of you, family and friends. If for some reason I am unable to post anymore, my family will make a final post. Remember, this really only (as far as I know) affects RNY and DS patients; and is often finalized on the autopsy table. Here is what the Syndrome is caused.

"Hyperammonemic Syndrome After Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass" by Andrew Z. Fenves (et al) www.obesityjournal.org out of Baylor University/College. and Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings "Late Presentation of Fatal hyperammonemic encephalopathy After Roux-en-Y gastric Bypass. Amulya Nagarur et.al.

Many, many bariatric surgeons are not aware of this because the symptoms are vague at first and then present in very certain ways. I had my RNY Jun of 2010 so I am NOT trying to scare anyone, but to alert you. I still do NOT regret in any way my surgery there are only 100 cases VERIFIED via vivisection autopsy, however there are more bypass surgeries being preformed. 99% of RNY patients will never get this, but I wanted to address this to the community.

With Warmth and support to all, no matter WHERE you are in your stage of fighting obesity.

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 4:07 am

I am sorry this happened to you. Blessings to you.

babettes_feast
on 2/15/18 7:21 am

I'm so sorry to hear about this and wish you all the best.

Kathy S.
on 2/15/18 8:11 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I have no words Ducky! I am so sorry.... Never have I heard of this, and will be researching. Sending you and prayers

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 10:46 am

I googled and I found it. Scary for sure but rare as Ducky says. Not that makes it better for those who do get. Hopefully they find a cure. I had never heard of it before myself. I could not find anything that told symptoms (early or later) which would be good to know.

Lyds85
on 2/15/18 8:30 am
RNY on 02/20/18

Hugs to you

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/18 5:41 am
VSG on 03/28/17

All my warm wishes to you. What a horrible disease, I am so sorry.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views