Low carb high protein PIZZA!

Roach
on 2/19/18 9:11 am, edited 2/19/18 7:14 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Hey there everyone! Been a while since I last posted. All is going well on this end, been maintaining at goal (+or- a couple lbs). Still stick with the low carb/ high protein lifestyle, noire lifestyle not diet.

Anywho, I am always trying out different recipes or tweaking old ones. One thing I always loved was pizza, unfortunately there are too many damn carbs in the crust. I tried a couple different cauliflower crust recipes, but thought they tasted horrible. Recipes with flour substitutes still had more carbs than I wanted in a meal. I came across a FB recipe post for ground-chicken crust pizza. Tried it out and I am in love!

Simple recipe:

1lb ground chicken

1/2c parmesan cheese

1/4c shredded mozzarella

Garlic and onion powder to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Combine ingredients. Lightly spray a pan(with edges) with cooking spray. Spread out the chicken crust into the pan. It will be sticky, found it is much easier to spread out evenly by using a sheet of wax paper when pressing out. Cook for 20 min. Remove and add your toppings. Fyi if used sparingly pizza sauce is not too bad carb wise, marinara is a bit lower and is a good substitute. I like a sliced Roma tomato, pepperoni, and jalapeno, and mozzarella of course. Place back in oven and cook for an additional 10-12 min.

There are your meals for a couple of days. Tastes great cold or reheated.

Renren
on 2/19/18 11:05 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I did this but with ground beef and egg mixture as the crust(and some italian seasonings) It was great

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Roach
on 2/19/18 7:12 pm, edited 2/19/18 11:12 am - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Have tried the ground beef but was not a huge fan. A burger patty with cheese is sort of my go to dinner option, so I needed to change things up. I also found that both the crust made with beef or turkey shrunk up quite a bit (assume from the fat content) . The chicken crust retained shape pretty well.

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/18 6:42 am, edited 2/19/18 10:47 pm

Sounds good, I am going to have to try it. I have never seen ground chicken I don't believe , I will have to look. If not, I am sure the butcher will do it for me.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/18 12:12 pm, edited 2/19/18 6:09 am

I?m not a low carber ( Low fatter instead ) but i do make an AWESOME low-fat pizza.

Please look for corresponding photos on my profile.

I buy dollar-a bag whole wheat and regular oil free frozen pizza crust from Walmart ( you usually have to ask the deli counter grrl for it). Walmarts crusts are not only a bargain, theyre extremely fresh and no-oil-added . What a privilege !

Ill defrost one each of these allow to rise , knead together and pizza-toss out onto a large square baking pan ( or better yet pizza stone) pre oiled with butter flavored spray oil.

I spray the top with more spray oil, sprinkle with a bit of dried garlic and toast under the broiler until slightly browned . ( this is to create a barrier between the crust and the sauce so the sauce cant wet the crust crust to make it soggy) Most commercial pizza places put several TABLESPOONS of oil on each crust for the same reason which is one reason (among many ) why commercial p[izzas are so ridiculously fattening.

Remove browned crust and coat with a bag or better yet two bags of fat free shredded mozzarella or use a combo of fat free and lowfat fresh made mozzarell - a full layer to create an effective barrier - sprinkle with Parmesan/Romano and then top the cheeses with a thin layer of homemade or store bought pizza sauce.

Quickly place vegetables ,mushrooms , turkey pepperoni slices or other meats on top . Layer with a bit more fat free mozzarella, grated Romano/Parmesan and meats that can use toasting/browning ( I really like sliced pre toasted natures own organic lowfat chicken sausage Italian style and/or homemade lowfat chicken or veal and pork Italian spiced tiny meatballs ) .

Bake at 500 degrees until you can smell the fresh bread /melted cheese deliciousness- 10-15 minutes on a pizza stone , a little more on a regular baking pan . Cut small slices with a pizza wheel ( there is no substitute .. without a pizza wheel you simply cant make a sharp cut)

EAT without guilt and freeze the rest for amazing frozen healthy dinners . These healthy pizza slices are quite low cal and extremely filling. They also make a terrific WL and kid friendly appetizer for parties, tailgating etc.

Though this is PIZZA -listed among the worlds most fattening foods - I find that my defatted extra tasty high fiber version is not weight gain promoting.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/19/18 1:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little bit of fat.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/18 2:04 pm

Believe it or not.. i actually agree. But i save my occasional fatty indulgence chits for decadent and delicious foods I REALLY enjoy like truffle laced Brie cheese , gorgeous ripe avocado slices even possibly Wagyou beef steaks or sliders .. if only someone would invite me ;)

Seriously .. i get invited out to eat all the time .. but is Mr Handsy worth wrestling with for a meal ? Not

Stitch83
on 2/19/18 7:50 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks...will try when I can eat again :) it's nice to have substitute options.

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

CC C.
on 2/20/18 1:00 pm

Sounds great! I'm lazy and eat a lot of the Real Good Pizzas that use a chicken/Parmesan crust. Very tasty and high protein!

Jeepnyak
on 2/23/18 9:00 pm
VSG on 07/03/17

I've been making these. I'm thinking about mixing a little bit of cauliflower rice into it. Just to shake things up a bit.

HW:320 SW:290 GW:190 CW:181

5'11", age 37 M1-28, M2-12, M3-16,

M4-15, M5-16, M6-5

M7-8(100lb goal) M8-4 M9-0

M10-5 M11-3 M12-0