Self Employed & Insurance Premiums

rather_creative
on 2/21/18 5:19 am

Hello everyone -

I am new here and I just started the 6 month program to get WLS. I am self employed and my insurance (like everyone else's) has tripled in cost over the last 6 years. Last year alone it went from $550 to $660 per month.

I don't really understand the health insurance business - is it like car insurance where once you have an accident your premium automatically goes up? So if I have this surgery, will my insurance increase? I do have good insurance that will help pay for the surgery - I am just concerned about what happens after.

Thank you, Christine

Amy R.
on 2/21/18 8:05 am

I was going to attempt to answer this in some detail but wouldn't want anyone basing insurance decisions on my thoughts.

The best and fastest way to get your specific answer to all of your insurance questions is to call the 800 number on the back of your insurance card. Millions of people have insurance under the big providers and sometimes it seems there are just as many millions of policies.

That's a stretch of course. The point being that your policy is likely different from mine in very important ways, even if we do actually share the same provider. There are way too many variables for anyone to answer your questions with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Be 100% sure of your coverage.

Give them a call and then ask them for the information they give you in writing. They are not bound by what a customer service rep tells you over the phone. Make sure you get any answers they give you in writing and on their letterhead.

Good luck. More and more policies are covering WLS and I hope you are pleasantly surprised.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/21/18 8:24 am

No, using your health insurance does not increase the premium. Auto insurance typically assigns fault for claims, whereas medical insurance does not.

As Amy said, be absolutely certain what is and isn't covered under your policy. That information will be in your policy booklet and on the insurance company website.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/18 2:01 pm

"No, using your health insurance does not increase the premium" - Yet. "Some people in power" want to exclude existing conditions or be able to charge higher premium.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/21/18 2:11 pm

Yes, there are definitely people who would love to add a sin tax to insurance premiums.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Gwen M.
on 2/21/18 1:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Using health insurance will not cause it to increase. Insurance companies wanting to make more money is what causes premiums to increase.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/18 6:53 am

My insurance would be through the roof. Just ask me what organs I have left in my body.

I am self employed and own a company with my husband. My premiums stayed the same.

Really read through your policy. There are so many gray areas.

Most Active