Off topic - using heathy bariatric recipe meat leftovers to supplement commercial teddy-pet food

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/18 9:43 pm, edited 2/23/18 4:31 am

Since my surgery I can rarely eat reheated meat . I do make large batches of recipes and freeze as homemade TV dinners but sometimes find i cant eat most or even all of the meat part. Obviously they cant be refrozen and my pouch won?t let me eat leftovers the next day either.

So Ive been trying to offer the leftover meat ( usually organic free range and grass -finished ) to the fluff balls as a healthy high quality supplement to their ( also high quality ) pet food diet.

Have you guys tried this ? My kittens weren?t raised on anything but canned and dry pet food in their birth homes so i have a hard time getting them interested in meat or even fish .

I know animals don?t like garlic or onions or salt so i try to remove those and wash off sauces and cut the meat up into tiny bite sized pieces.

Im having very mixed results - most of the time they just leave the meat and beg for canned pet food. Ive even tried mixing the meat in with their pet food - that seems to work partially but they still pick out and leave most of it.

When im cooking id also like to be able to give them the meat or fish trimmings - but they turn up their little picky noses .

Any suggestions? It seems such a waste to throw out such high quality pet health promoting ingredients simply because the little fuzz balls aren?t familiar with genuine meat taste.

thanks !

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/23/18 6:53 am

My cats like fresh cooked meat or fish - buy not reheated. When I grill - saute chicken, the get some. But they will not eat that the second day, even I I reheat that on the stove.

The longer the meat or fish is out - the more it decompose and there is more histmine in it.(byproducts from meat proteins breaking down)

I guess my cats can detect it. I can eat leftovers. My cats know better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nknerr
on 2/23/18 7:34 am
VBG on 12/07/17

Can't really help you, as my cat thinks she is a dog and begs whenever we are eating. Actually, she will come up and try to take food off my plate! The nerve of her!

She will eat leftovers without a problem, BUT will NOT eat beef. Not in cat food, not in people food. Not fresh or reheated. However, pork, bacon, chicken or fish she is ALL OVER!! Last night she was drooling over chicken mixed with a bit of bacon and cheese! Literally drooling.

Talk to your vet about meeting their nutritional requirements. I know I have a "formula" to follow for the dog, who is allergic to dyes, so can't eat commercial food. (Even Royal Canin which is top in the field makes my guy itch!) So, he gets a formula of 1/3 cup cubed to chopped chicken, pork or fish, 2 Tbsp rice cereal, 2 Tbsp of veggies, usually either greenbeans or peas/carrots. When I feed beef, he gets cream of wheat to help with the amino acid balance, and whatever veggie I am having.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Renren
on 2/23/18 9:40 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Only cook the amount you can eat in one meal, and feed your animals the food they like? It's hard at first to cook so small, but less hassle in the long run. I no longer have trouble eating leftovers, but you gotta do what's best for you.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Lina_Ann
on 2/23/18 8:07 pm

Seems fine to me. I was a manager at a specialty pet store for years and adding things like plain chicken and fish are great for your dogs. I do this almost every night with my Border Collie and Great Pyrenees.

Just stay away from giving them bones, which I'm sure you already know.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/18 6:36 pm

I give my dog an occasional milk bone ... are they bad? Heard something once but then others saying not true.... what have you heard? Also cats get the temptations treats... I guess like junk food for them but if only small amount now and then.

Lina_Ann
on 2/24/18 10:22 pm

You're right. It's like junk food, lol. I feed mine milk bones sometimes but only 1 or 2. There's been a few times where I've actually baked my own dog treats for them. Sounds ridiculous but if you have the time it's easy :) Pinterest has lots of recipes.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

catwoman7
on 2/25/18 7:07 am
RNY on 06/03/15

garlic and onion are toxic to cats, so make sure you wash off all of it. I personally would not give cats meat if it had been exposed to garlic or onions.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 2/25/18 7:09 am
RNY on 06/03/15

there are articles everywhere about onions/garlic and cats

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/onion/

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/18 5:34 pm

I have always fed my cats fancy feast and (knock on wood) my cats have always lived to be very old (as old as 18 and 19 years). With exception to the one I mentioned I lost when I was a kid to a urinary tract blockage and the one killed by a car. Other then a tiny piece of deli turkey (once in a blue moon ) I don't feed cats anything but their wet fancy feast. 3 cats - can each in morning and can each at night. Split flavors in 3 bowls so they have variety. I get the garden varieties and the pâté that they prefer to the grilled type.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1541 views