Freeze in California...Almonds and citrus

cabin111
on 2/23/18 8:50 am

Former almond and grape grower here. The almond crop may be very light...Because of frost. It may mean higher prices. Many WLS people eat them I know. I keep them in my pockets to snack on most days. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/23/freeze-leaves-californias-al mond-growers-fearing-significant-damage.html

jenorama
on 2/23/18 11:41 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I grew up in Fresno, so I well remember the news covering unexpected freezes with the citrus growers running giant fans and small fires in the orange groves. It's a shame because the blooming almond trees are so beautiful.

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/18 12:39 pm

Its a shame. The almond groves in California are beautiful .. and grow such a great product.

I'm curious about something .. is it necessary to use pesticides at all in nut crops ?

I know citrus oil is is natural pest destroyer - so am i correct in assuming citrus crops are largely grown organically... ?

cabin111
on 2/23/18 2:14 pm

Many growers go all natural...And get a much higher price. New insects are entering into the orchards. This is making it harder and harder to go all natural. There have always been things like Navel Orange Worm and ants that will attack the trees. If you do a winter spray (pesticide), you can prevent many of the insect from entering into the nuts. Also during heavy rains many grower will do a fungicide spray (and add minor nutrients to the spray...Helping with the nut set). On the 4 almond trees I have at my home and small farm, I have gone with a different variety. It is a hard shell (Texas Mission). The insects can't get into the nut. But the shell is as hard as a walnut and the taste is not as good as the soft shell varieties...

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/18 7:25 am

How interesting ! thank you for your informative and experienced reply...

Most Active