Leaving on a Jet Plane!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 3/4/18 2:51 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

Tomorrow will be my first flight since surgery. Although I never needed a seat belt extender before I was never comfortable in an airline seat to say the least. Tomorrow I will be doing the first of many flights that I will have over the next couple of months. I'll be flying to Seattle at least four times in the next few months, Hawaii in April for vacation and I have an upcoming yet to be scheduled training in Florida that should happen within the next two months. I'm really looking forward to flying for once!

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/18 4:36 pm

Have a good trip! Where are you staying in Hawaii? We are looking forward to staying in the Disney resort one of these years with our DVC timeshare.

I remember the last flight before I had Weight loss surgery (RNY May 2008) I could not get my seat belt to close. In the past I could suck it in and finally uncomfortably get it to click! Well I was mortified and I pretended it was on! I felt like a guy across the aisle knew but did not say anything! Can't believe I was too embarrassed and humiliated to ask for an extender and instead I risked my life! It was an eye opening moment.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 3/4/18 4:49 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

We are heading to Kona on the big island. We love it there.

pammieanne
on 3/5/18 7:34 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So I did that on my last flight prior to surgery too... I just tucked it under my big belly, and no one was the wiser... but I knew, and I was both mortified that the belt didn't fit ****pt thinking there was something wrong with it!), and so afraid we would hit turbulence and I would fly out of my seat and crack my head open. It was awful.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/18 7:40 am

Yes crazy and humiliating!

reree6898
on 3/5/18 6:59 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I have never been one to like flying so I have never flown very often. I had to fly about 5 months pre-surgery and the belt was extended as far as it would go on its own and was still a few inches short of being able to latch. I was too embarrassed to ask for an extender and so I covered it with my jacket so the flight attendant wouldn't see that I was not buckled. Also, the arms of the seat dug into my hips so bad that I was bruised after just a 90 minute flight. I had to fly last month and I was able to buckle with no problem and had many, many inches of extra belt where I had to pull it tighter so it would fit. While flying is still not my favorite thing in the world to do it was so much better being able to fit comfortably in the seat and the belt. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable time in the air this time.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

theAntiChick
on 3/5/18 8:06 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I've posted before about it, but absolutely every aspect of travelling and flying is easier with over 100# less to move. Airline seats are never comfortable, but they're so much more comfortable than they were. Just being able to navigate TSA (but PreCheck is THE BOMB) and getting to the gates and everything without being winded made the world of difference for me.

So I always love hearing NSV's from people who find flying to be so much easier after weight loss.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Kathy S.
on 3/5/18 1:02 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You will be thrilled at the difference. Walking straight down the isle instead of having to do it side wise. Fitting in the seat and not hanging over. When the shelf for food and drinks comes down it won't cut you in half. So many NSV's. ENJOY!!!!

Give yourself a high five!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 3/5/18 1:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I used to fly to Seattle for work every quarter in a previous life, and that city is fun. I used to finish my day, change my clothes and hit the sidewalk exploring, not to actually settle down in my room until 9pm.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lipster101
on 3/5/18 3:06 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Have a great 1st flight and hope all your trips are wonderful! How exciting! I always hated flying next to my thin hubby and slender kids, and this summer I was at my highest weight ever, and although I tried not to be embarrassed, boy was I ever! I didn't it let it phase me once I had a few drinks in Mexico, but now am planning my daughter's destination wedding for next summer, and super stoked for being thin and fabulous!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1330 views