Responses when I tell people

Lipster101
on 3/6/18 3:34 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've been selective and get mostly positive feedback. I am trying not to sabotage myself by having the wrong people know, such as inlaws and relatives who will be negative to start and throughout my journey. One of the worst things I can do to myself is not lose weight fast enough for the people who are naysayers and don't really want you to succeed. Being heavy my entire life has taught me that it embarasses people who share the same fight but don't have the same ideas to help themselves. If I could just diet and exercise and fat be gone, I would have stuck to that plan, but I needed more assistance.

Don't listen to the horror stories. Turn a deaf ear ear to negativity and since I know everyone that fits in to one of those categories, I'd rather be on here than out there, lol..

MeerKat1994
on 3/6/18 4:05 am
RNY on 05/09/17

When I was first thinking about surgery and hadn't made mind to do it, I received more negative comments.

But my parents were very supportive and my biggest advocates. They few people I've told since surgery have been very supportive (to my face at least). But I did encounter a problem where I discovered several of the people I had told were telling other people. I'm still in college so I know word spreads like a wildfire. I was very upset and addressed this person and her response was "well don't you think everyone suspects it already??"

grrrr...probably! But that's not the point. The point was I told you something in confidence. And you blabbed!

pammieanne
on 3/6/18 6:55 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I am pretty much an open book... and I think I numb their minds, when they ask, and I tell them... not only that I had WLS, but how it works, and how I have to work, and the metabolic changes, and the huge decrease of those that had diabetes now being in remission, and the mindset, and how hard your brain works against you...

And they glaze over and leave me alone.

The biggest percentage of those that I have told are very supportive, especially after my dialog of the above

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

hollykim
on 3/6/18 7:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2018 at 11:43 PM Pacific Time, Scary.Airy wrote:

So I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I guess I am finding it sort of funny with how predictable the responses are that I've been getting when I tell people that surgery is in the works for me :)

I can pretty much classify them in to a few groups:

Those that have never struggled with weight issues: "Geeze! That's hard core! Couldn't you just like... diet and exercise to lose the weight?"

Women who are overweight themselves: "oh, wow. Well, I just know SO many horror stories about how one of those surgeries went wrong, I wouldn't do it myself...." (then changes the subject right away)

Men I work with (very techy): *blink in slight confusion*. "cool! So, like, do you get to SEE the stomach they cut out of you??"

Luckily I also have a lot of: "Wow, this is a huge decision but I know you researched like hell and I support whatever you want to do!" and those are the important ones. But the classifications are funny.

What other ones have YOU heard?

I have never been in the habit of broadcasting any of my personal medical history so I didn't broadcast this part either, but that's just me.

Gwen M.
on 3/6/18 2:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

In addition to these, I've also gotten a number of "TELL ME EVERYTHING" followed with, "Yeah.... I'm not ready to do that."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Partlypollyanna
on 3/7/18 5:25 am
RNY on 02/14/18

It's funny, through this process I am finding out who I trust and who I don't and asking myself some follow up questions, lol!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/7/18 11:10 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Unfortunately, the responses never change...

I'm very proud of my surgery, I'm also very proud that I really havent had any regain and have kept everything under control.

I still have a lot of people tell me about how someone they know has gained back all their weight, I generally reply that its more than likely because the other person made poor decisions about what to eat post op. That a calorie is still a calorie for bariatric patients. Its my job to control what I eat and how I burn calories. Its my new stomachs job to simply limit how much and often.

I, too, know several people who have gained significant weight back and havent gotten it off again several years down the road being post op.

My hopes are that when these people talk to me and see I've lost and maintained, they will bring that back to their other friend that is struggling and hopefully give them some hope they can lose the weight again and keep it off.

I've had several people ask to share my story with their friends/colleagues/family members/ etc, and have had a few times people ask me to speak to someone about my story.

Dont ever be afraid to share your story, but also dont feel obligated if you dont want to :)

Also, if theres a particular resposne you get from someone that you find is hurtful when people say it, figure out a set response back. Dont be rude or intentional with hurting feelings, but I sure as hell dont hold back if it happens in mine. Their statement of "oh, you'll end up gaining it all back" is downright mean and intentional or not, it hurts and is inappropriate. They deserve some truth after that ;)

Chris

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

diane S.
on 3/8/18 12:03 pm

Well here is a thought: I bet more people die from consequences of obesity than die from complications of WLS. So there. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Angiebaby73
on 3/13/18 7:55 pm

What I learned during my first wls was, those that mind don' matter, and those that matter won't mind. They will be supportive but nervous as they would about any surgery u would have.

Most Active