Emotional eating and Bypass

Anthonycat
on 3/7/18 3:38 am
RNY on 05/01/18

Was checking my insurance. If I like the psychologist who does my evaluation, I plan to see her afterwards since she's an expert in the surgery and eating disorders. Planning ahead.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/7/18 5:22 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Sounds like you are taking great steps. I'm only 3 weeks post op so far from an expert, but every day I find myself relying on some of the "new thinking" I got from the therapy/behavior modification program I had to go through to qualify. I admit, I thought it was silly at first that I had to change everything BEFORE surgery, but a few weeks into it, I got it and now I'm very grateful -- it's still not easy but I know it's "easier" than it would have been if the pre-program me had the surgery.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/18 6:56 am

It is a life changer but it is the one thing I am so glad I did.

Seeking help is a great thing.

Kathy S.
on 3/7/18 10:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to OH and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Kudos to you for realizing the head issues are the hardest to tackle for us all. I tell people "you have to get it right between the ears before you re-arrange your plumbing". Here are some articles on the subject that may help! We are all here for you

Emotional Eating Articles

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Nknerr
on 3/8/18 8:23 am
VBG on 12/07/17

You know, I agree with what everyone is saying about therapy. If only there was a way to have the surgery on our brains and "re-wire" them. Then, maybe we wouldn't have to "rearrange the plumbing"!

Yes, I was in therapy for emotional issues long before I decided to have the surgery. And, I will probably be in therapy all my life due to several issues, the emotional eating issue not even at the top of the list.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

Valerie G.
on 3/8/18 9:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Therapy will help you develop alternative coping tools.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

VSGAnn2014
on 3/8/18 3:58 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I've been seeing a therapist too for nearly 4 years, since before my VSG surgery.

I can't imagine being nearly as successful with WLS (have lost 100+ pounds and kept it ALL off) without addressing the REASONS for my obesity and lifelong lack of self-care.

Please add this critical resource to your program!

Best wishes to you. :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Donna L.
on 3/9/18 7:17 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The only way to handle emotional eating is to address the emotions, sit with them, and have insight as to why you emotionally eat instead of coping with other ways.

I am a therapist who insisted on getting my own therapy for a year minimum before my revision recently. I also had a revision for severe GERD.

I needed to nip that crap in the bud. I did not have the chance to be in therapy the year after my VSG for part of it which I think did not help. I also am finding my therapy valuable now because a lot of trauma around earlier surgeries has come out.

I'm quite honest about my therapy when asked, and my own mental health issues, because I do not think people realize how common it is for many people to struggle with eating - obese or not.

You are absolutely not alone, though. Definitely consider seeking therapy out, and even maybe a support group. I would not be without either these days.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active