Deciding Which Surgery to Choose

Shannon S.
on 3/12/18 8:50 am, edited 3/12/18 1:51 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I had VSG. Very happy with my choice. I feel this surgery was perfect for me. My mother has had RNY and she also is very happy with her surgery. I do believe RNYrs lose a little quicker in the beginning, but I mainly chose VSG because the thought of my plumbing being rerouted, and altered in such a drastic way freaked me out a bit. Either way, I think they are both awesome surgeries, and it just depends what your needs/goals are. Good luck with your decision making process!!!

Donna L.
on 3/12/18 11:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I loved the sleeve very much. I had no averse history of GERD, and was intending to get a duodenal switch after more weight loss (my BMI at surgery was 78).

However, a few months in I developed GERD. It became worse and worse, and evolved into a horrifying mess. I debated the DS for a year regardless, as I had my heart set on it 100%, however many doctors (several who were pro-DS to great degrees) were concerned since I apparently was "lucky" and the GERD was due to having a sleeve rather than food choice, etc. And, this was like, epic horrifying GERD that was ridiculous and awful.

I revised to a longer version of the RNY as a result and haven't looked back since. I went from being in excruciating pain the hour before surgery to 100% GERD free after.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Shannon S.
on 3/14/18 5:46 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

That's is great news. Glad you have gotten some relief!!

kc574
on 3/12/18 12:41 pm - Bristol, IN

Thanks for all of your responses. And for being so open. That is something I'm not very good at! I slightly panicked at even posting but I also know that this site is for people who are open to chatting about their experiences.

I don't have diabetes, but I do have other issues... chronic headaches, sleep apnea and lipedema and like I mentioned I get occasional heartburn.

Your replies have been quite helpful in how the sleeve is so sensitive for heartburn issues. I don't think mine is very bad but it seems like it might be something to consider. I meet with the surgeon next week so I'll be prepared.

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 3/12/18 1:20 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I had occasional heartburn before sleeve surgery. About 6 months after surgery I developed GERD. It started mildly at first and over the last year has gotten worse. I am scheduled for a revision to bypass this Wednesday. As mentioned before having GERD post sleeve is horrible. I currently take 2 PPI's a day, carafate and still chew tums occasionally. I so can't wait for this swollen esophagus feeling to go away.

MarinaGirl
on 3/12/18 2:34 pm, edited 3/12/18 7:35 am

I had GERD for many years prior to WLS so my bariatric surgeon only recommended gastric bypass for me. I continued with PPIs for the first 4 months post-op (while healing) and after that no heartburn medication has been required. I feel so much better and a recent EGD has proven my pre-existing esophagitis has resolved. Good luck with your decision. I think it is great you are doing a lot of research to determine the appropriate procedure for you.

seattledeb
on 3/12/18 9:36 pm

I wish they would find a way to prevent the GERD side effect. I see so many people having to have 2 weight loss surgeries.

Lisajc70
on 3/13/18 7:00 am

I have diabetes and GERD, so I chose the RNY. I had my surgery just over 2 months ago and I do not regret it one bit. I am off both of my insulins and have had no heartburn issues. There hasn't been anything that I'm surprised by so far, except how fast I'm losing weight. I really thought that I would only lose about 8-10 lbs a month, but I've lost 26 lbs so far.

Lisa RNY 1/8/18 SW: 203 lbs CW: 135 lbs

In maintenance since August 2018. Tummy tuck and liposuction done May 9, 2019.

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/18 7:17 am, edited 3/13/18 5:09 am

I had GERD (bad heart burn) before surgery and took Nexium that my doctor prescribed. After my surgery I still have GERD. I now take two PepcidAC daily (with all the news about Nexium). I had RNY in 2008 and it has been wonderful for me. I don't think my hospital was performing VSG back then.

with a trace of heart burn you should probably stay clear of the VSG.

Nknerr
on 3/13/18 8:29 am
VBG on 12/07/17

My surgeon told me that given my history of colon cancer, he wouldn't do the RNY on me, even though I have GERD. His reasoning was that if they needed to scope me in the future, that they couldn't see into the larger portion of the stomach that is "closed off" from the digestion loop. I totally understood and went with the VSG.

On days when my GERD is an issue, I wish I would have pushed my preference, but I'm assuming that the docs know better.

Everything kind of ended up the way they assumed it would. I'm okay with my decision and just wish the weight would come off easier and faster. But, hey, my body didn't gain all this in a few months, it isn't gonna lose it that way, either.

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253