9 days out .... please read

Beautifuldisaster2018
on 3/15/18 8:44 am
VSG on 03/06/18

Okay so I'm 9 days out and I have been in pain and sick and the nine yards well the dr missed a leak. So it's fixed... okay then they told me extremely mushy foods / purée so I tried mr noodles and chewed till muah stopped when my stomach said stop didn't over do it but now.... I wake the next morning in pain like something hasn't diguested. I can drink no issues still haven't tried any mush yet.... trying to figure out why I'm in pain

rocky513
on 3/15/18 9:08 am - WI

You are very soon out of major stomach surgery and are still swollen. Food at 9 days out might be the problem. Even if your surgeon says you can eat, your body is telling you that you can't. I was on liquids for two full weeks. You may be progressing your food too fast. Go back to liquids for a few days and let your new stomach heal.

If you can drink with no problem, then you don't have a stricture.

Your focus right now needs to be protein and fluid. You do not really need to eat food. You can get protein from shakes. Drink your fluids and rest.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Beautifuldisaster2018
on 3/15/18 9:10 am
VSG on 03/06/18

I can't drink protien

I can drink my water intake and such but that's about it.

doc told me to start purée because I had been hospitalized 3 times just on liquids because my body needed something I guess.

im not in major pain I just feel like...... you swallowed to big a piece and it hurts, but it's suck... even tho I chewed them to kysh

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/15/18 9:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Why can't you drink protein?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/15/18 9:29 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Out of curiosity why can't you drink your protein? Like protein shakes.

I know some doctors progress their patients quickly, but with him missing a leak and then having you start pureed foods so soon he may be causing you more harm than good. I highly suggest checking out eggface she has a ton of great recipes for newly post-ops.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Renren
on 3/15/18 9:09 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I think I only had protein shakes with miralax and water for the first couple of weeks. I couldn't even swallow yogurt at first. My stomach was too inflamed at the beginning and I had to give it time to heal. Drink lots of water and broth (with salt) you need salt because protein are very low in salt(usually) and you need electrolytes that it provides. I wouldn't myself have noodles until reaching goal, they are super high in carbs and not a good source of protein.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/15/18 9:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Noodles are not an appropriate food for post-op, even if you chew them really well. Not only are they full of unneeded carbs, but they are too hard on a stomach that has newly been taken apart.

Appropriate "extremely mushy" or puree foods would include:

• ricotta cheese
  • refried beans
  • cottage cheese
  • scrambled eggs
  • cooked meat that has been run through a blender until it has no chunks, such as chicken or ham

Your stomach is NOT going to say "stop" at this point. The nerves have been cut and you will have no sensation of fullness. It is incredibly important to weigh and measure your food and take in tiny quantities of food in order to prevent injury.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CJ On Orcas
on 3/15/18 9:26 am, edited 3/15/18 2:27 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I would stick to liquids and very soft foods but not noodles. Protein shakes, protein powders in water, greek yogurt if you can tolerate it. Just focus on getting things with protein in. Unjury makes a chicken both protein powder that has 20 grams of protein for a scoop. Syntrax makes a Nectar protein powder than is like juice, I love the Fuzzy Navel flavor but there is a variety pack you can get to try all the flavors. Costco has a blueberry flavored protein water. Bone broth has protein in it.

And get plenty of water or other liquid... I had a hard time with water so I mixed in a little diet Cranberry juice with my water and it was much easier to get down.

Good luck and go slowly.

*edited to correct two critical spelling errors ;)

Lina_Ann
on 3/15/18 6:32 pm

Mr Noodles is a really bad food to be eating post op. Those noodles expand in your stomach, are FULL of sodium, and don't have much nutrition. You need to find a protein drink you like. Whey, soy, pea....protein is essential. I can't handle whey or soy, so I drink pea protein. Don't give up.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Valerie G.
on 3/17/18 6:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There is absolutely no reason to be eating noodles right now. Nix the ideas on rice, potatoes, couscous, oatmeal (any hot cereal) or any kind of simple carb. First, there is very little nutritionally for you, especially if you are not drinking any protein. Your stomach space is precious, so there should be nothing passing your lips that doesn't contribute to your protein needs. Next, what is a small amount going down becomes a huge amount once it reaches your stomach and starts expanding.

My easiest mush foods were cottage cheese, ricotta and egg custard (made with splenda). Others do well with chicken or tuna salad and even shrimp.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active