Gastric Juices - Pantoprazole - post op

anabanana1976
on 3/21/18 3:27 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

Hey Everyone,

Sleeve Surgery was Nov 21, 2017 - and I am still having to take my PPI for my gastric juices.. anyone know if this ever ends? It has subsided somewhat, and I am at a point where I don't take it every day - but I can still feel those juices creep up..

CC C.
on 3/21/18 7:08 pm

Search for GERD on this site. It's pretty common post-VSG and is important to control as it can eventually lead to esophageal cancer after years of bathing the esophagus in acid. Make sure your doctor knows you have it too.

califsleevin
on 3/21/18 8:25 pm - CA

Discuss with your doctor as to when and how you should try to work off of the PPI. These drugs don't take well to simply stopping them as that can cause a rebound reflux reaction; typically one weans off of the PPI by cutting the dose back, sometimes with a substitution of an H2I class of acid reducer such as Pepcid or Zantac (which are generally kinder to us than PPIs, but often less effective.) Many will get off of the meds but some will need them long term, as the alternative is even less "interesting".

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/22/18 9:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was on a prescription PPI, Dexilant, for one year post-op. After that, it calmed down and I didn't need the meds anymore.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Shannon S.
on 3/23/18 4:03 am
VSG on 11/07/17

PPIs are a hard drug to stop due to the rebound effect. I had to ween off. I still take about 1-2 pill per week if I feel the GERD is creeping up. You could try tums in between to help with the weening, but if not controlled it can lead to damage. I also started taking mine at night in hopes it would mess with the absorption of my vitamins and food less (just my own theory).

anabanana1976
on 4/18/18 1:16 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

Thanks... I am starting to be able to take them intermittently - usually after I eat spicy foods which i OH SO LOVE..but have learnt to tame my desire for spice down some .. the after effects are not as pleasant ..

Shannon S.
on 4/18/18 3:14 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Yeah I love spicy stuff too, but doesn't always agree with me either. Glad your are able to take less. I also found listening to my signals help (not over eating).