Bone Broth anyone?

Teresa G.
on 4/10/18 12:26 pm, edited 4/10/18 12:29 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I'm wondering if anyone here makes and/or drinks bone broth post-surgery, especially the first couple of weeks post surgery.

I make it for my dogs, but I wanted some to drink while I'm doing my practice/kick-start pre-op diet (I'm on Day 6!). I've bought some commercial ones, organic, and it is SO expensive, and eh, unimpressive on the flavor, but this past weekend I made my own out of buffalo bones.

OMG - it is SO good and so satisfying. And it gel'd up like buffalo jello, which means it's REALLY full of the good stuff. I plan on making chicken maybe tonight (I cook it in my Instant Pot for about 5 hours).

I think it's going to be a stand-by when I'm post-surgery. It is seriously so good for you; just to start with: "just some of the the many benefits of bone broth are how it can improve digestion, allergies, immune health, brain health, and much more.

What isn't as well known is that broth can help reduce cellulite by improving connective tissue, increase hair growth/strength, improve digestive issues and remineralize teeth." (Katie, Wellness Mama)

Here's a link to a great article, plus a recipe to make it:

Wellness Mama - How to Make Bone Broth

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

CC C.
on 4/10/18 12:28 pm

I drank it post surgery, but like most things I had post-surgery, I can't stand to think about it now (I'm looking at you protein shakes, jello, and tuna salad...).

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/18 12:52 pm

Bone broth proteins are mostly collagen. Still good for us, but it is not a complete protein. It is good for joints, skin, hair, etc. I do not count that in my minimum 50-60 gr of proteins per day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/18 1:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The collagen in bone broth is not hydrolized, the way collagen supplements are, so your body doesn't absorb it well. I imagine the impact on your skin and joints is minimal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/11/18 7:18 am, edited 4/11/18 12:19 am

well... there are studies that can show it either way.

I personally like the idea or properly made bone broth from organic, free range animals. The amount of micro-elements (minerals) that get extracted during the process is actually is extracted by water with some acids (ACV) and therefore most of us can absorb it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Harpediem
on 4/10/18 1:07 pm

I add unflavoured protein powder to my bone broth to get adequate quantity and quality of protien. Nice to have a break from sugar substitutes in premier protein shakes.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/18 1:09 pm, edited 4/10/18 6:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Wellness Mama's claims are not backed by science. There has not been any specific medical research on bone broth since 1934!

As Hala mentioned, the protein in bone broth is mostly collagen, which is not well-absorbed by the body. Claims that broth improves connective tissue and the like are based on research on SUPPLEMENTS, which contain much higher levels of concentrated collagen than even a large serving of bone broth.

Claims that it improves your digestive issue are based on animal studies (not human!) of a single amino acid, glutamine. There is no proof that bone broth has any impact on the human digestive track.

A food's ability to gel is not a reflection of its nutrative quality.

Does it taste good? Sure! But it's not magic like you (and Wellness Mama) claim it to be.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/11/truth-about- bone-broth/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Teresa G.
on 4/10/18 2:08 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I'm sure most, if not all of the claims on the benefits of bone broth are anecdotal, but I know I love it and my stomach loves it too! And oh man, do my dogs love it!

And it doesn't have enough protein in it to really count towards the protein goal.

And I don't think I was claiming anything, other than I love it.

I was quoting.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Rosemi
on 4/10/18 7:58 pm

I really like bone broth, too...I've made it for years . Turkey carcasses,...chicken, beef joint pieces...a little vinegar... lots of simmering...my lazy recipe is using a roasted costco chicken (I remove the breast meat and one leg and thigh...the rest goes in the pot...I add water...simmer it for hours...then I cool it in the refrigerator overnite...skim any fat off the top...heat it a little to liquidate the jelly...strain it with the juice going back in the pot...separate the bones skin and meat...meat goes in the broth...then i add 3-4 eggs to the broth...some spices and end up with a great soup/stew/broth/jelly...it makes quit a bit so i measure it in 1cup amounts and freeze it for easy meals...

Grim_Traveller
on 4/11/18 11:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I like meat. I give away the bones. And bone broth always tastes like ass to me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1368 views