New Recipe Ideas

Theduffman27
on 5/1/18 5:20 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Good morning !!! I am looking for new recipe ideas. I am a creature of habit that eats the same things over and over and I am getting bored. Please share a new recipe that you have tried. I try to eat low carb, high protein. Thanks for any help/ideas, Mike

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 190, CW- 194.4 - 4.4 lbs to goal

Dcgirl
on 5/1/18 10:40 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I hear you!

I have been having the most delicious breakfast lately. I buy the bag of tiny avocados at Aldi - they really are so small, and once you factor in the pit, even smaller. I let them get ripe on the counter and then put them in the fridge. My breakfast is the tiny avocado with salt/pepper, 2 slices of havarti cheese and about 1.5 oz of turkey deli meat. So satisfying.

Now that it's warm, we are all about the grill. I love all flavors of AmyLu chicken sausage from Costco (habanero mango is my fave, but the andouille chicken and carmelized onion cheddar cheese are great too). We grill them and I eat 2 for lunch with dijon mustard.

We have been doing salmon the grill once a week too. A favorite side dish I had forgotten about is the Trader Joe's cauliflower rice with peas, spring onions and corn (in a bag in the freezer section).

I also love homemade turkey burgers - you can do them in any flavor profile! I start with a 16 oz package of 93/7 ground turkey meat, and that makes 5 patties. Sometimes I do parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic powder, and scallions. Sometimes I do feta cheese and kalamata olives and olive oil. I have done Mexican ones - shredded mexican cheese and scallions and taco seasoning. The sky is the limit!

NYMom222
on 5/1/18 11:02 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You are so creative Emily

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Dcgirl
on 5/1/18 11:22 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I have to be or we would basically eat grilled chicken every night. I had a lot of food funerals before surgery - like "I have to eat a mountain of nachos because I will never have them again!" or "I am going to eat an entire pizza because I will never have it again!". While this is untrue, I can have both, just in MUCH smaller quantities, I have found that if I can mimic the flavors of the foods I once binged on (Mexican, Italian, Greek, etc) and still enjoy the good parts of them (cheese, avocado, fish, chicken) then I am very satisfied with my meal plans. I never mourn the things I can't have. With the exception of falafel that makes me projective vomit, I mourn that very much!

Kris loves fish but he has a slight allergy to crab and doesn't like shrimp. Which SUCKS. I don't eat red meat (never liked it). So occasionally I buy steaks for him to grill for him and the kids, and I eat shrimp. It's so delightful! And whenever we go out to eat I tend to get shrimp or crab...poor guy, he doesn't want a taste, so we can't share dishes.

Theduffman27
on 5/1/18 11:18 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Thank you Emily - great ideas! I think the family would love the burgers!!! One issue I have with planning is that I am the only one in the family that eats fi****hink I need to get back to planning for me, and everyone else for themselves or conform to what is planned. Thanks again!

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 190, CW- 194.4 - 4.4 lbs to goal

Dcgirl
on 5/1/18 11:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I know you're in upstate NY - do you have a Whole Foods near you? They have this mediterranean tuna salad in the deli case - I will buy a half pound or a pound and eat it for lunch all week! You can make it yourself but you just have to buy a lot of ingredients. It's literally the perfect lunch.

Tuna (not all white albacore)

Roasted red peppers, diced

Red onion, diced

Crumbled feta cheese

Sliced kalamata olives

It doesn't have mayo - I think the tuna is packed in olive oil so it's moist. I love love love it. Perfect lunchtime concoction.

Theduffman27
on 5/1/18 12:06 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

We do not have a whole foods, but I am going to try this recipe!!! I love Tuna!! This sounds incredible...Thank you

denaraye
on 5/7/18 11:01 am - MI

I remember the days when our mother put dinner in front of us and we were to eat what was made or go hungry. Now I am not saying that making one thing for myself and another for the rest of the family is not an valid idea - as it even happens in my house on a regular basis. But maybe, just maybe mom was on to something. Maybe my husband and daughter could benefit from eating the same plan I need to eat... Thoughts???

Partlypollyanna
on 5/1/18 5:47 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Wow, some interesting things to try!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

denaraye
on 5/7/18 11:04 am - MI

I can honestly say I have never tried a turkey burger - but these mixtures sound really good! As I have never cooked with ground turkey - say I made the Mexican ones - how long would you cook these. I assume you fry them?