Has anyone taken the home sleep study?

NCMTNEER13
on 5/1/18 6:09 am
VSG on 11/26/18

So as part of my pre-op, this Thursday I have to do a sleep study, but the pulmonologist recommended a home sleep study instead of staying overnight at the sleep clinic. Has anyone else taken a home sleep study? Is it difficult to set it up? Are there any tricks to ensure that it is done properly. My biggest concern is not setting it up correctly or it messing up overnight. My pulmonologist stated that if the results are messed up, then I will have to go in for a in-clinic sleep study. I really don't want to have to do it twice.

Izzy612
on 5/1/18 6:18 am, edited 4/30/18 11:19 pm

I have done it but all it is is a pulse ox attached to a watch type strap on your wrist that monitors your oxygen level as you sleep.

It?s a bit uncomfortable but you get use to

it. Very easy to set up

NCMTNEER13
on 5/1/18 6:46 am
VSG on 11/26/18

Interesting. Must be different types of home studies, because I thought my pulmonologist said it would involve a chest strap and possibly even a mask.

The pulse ox/wrist strap would be nothing. I sleep every night with my Fit Bit Ionic on my wrist to monitor my sleep.

artchikk
on 5/1/18 12:23 pm
RNY on 02/12/18

i had to do the preliminary home sleep study which was just the pulse ox monitor on my hand/wrist for the night, but my husband did the one with the chest band and the tubes that measured his o2 in his nose. it was not hard to set up, basically just put it on and tape the tubes to your face so they dont slip off...
but his did malfunction the first time and only recorded for about 30 mins then it turned off and he had to go back and do it again. they said they hate the home studies because they are difficult to monitor and make sure the equipment is working properly...but our insurance said it was necessary before they would approve the one in the clinic.

they also prescribed him an ambien to help him sleep for the night since it is a little weird wearing all the stuff I guess. He said he slept fine though.

Amber
RNY 2/12/18
5'4 1/2" tall, HW : 315 lbs, Surgery Wt: 297lbs.
M1: -17.5lbs M2: -11.5lbs M3: -12lbs M4: -13lbs M5: -13lbs M6: -13.5lbs M7: -12lbs M8: -14lbs M9: -10.5lbs M10: -7.75lbs M11: -5.25lbs M12: -4lbs M13: -3lbs M14: -7lbs M15: -2lbs M16: -1lb **made it to goal!**

CW 148

Mary Gee
on 5/1/18 1:41 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I did the home study...had to "hook up" and wear a mask -- it was no big deal. I had to go to the hospital and watch a short instructional film, then they gave me the machine, which I had to return the following day.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

NCMTNEER13
on 5/1/18 2:09 pm
VSG on 11/26/18

Yes that sounds like mine. I have to go to the sleep clinic on Thursday morning for a 20 minute orientation on how to use it, then use it that night at home, and return it the next day.

Julia S.
on 5/2/18 10:54 am, edited 5/2/18 3:54 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I had the one that goes around your chest and a nasal cannula with a pulse ox that goes on your finger. It didn't work properly and I could not sleep on my side without the alarm going off and waking me up. I was supposed to do it for 2 nights but after the first night I couldn't shut it off, or turn it back on. So I believe the results were not valid. Of course the sleep Dr, who looked all of 16 said you have significant Sleep Apnea and need a CPAP machine. My surgeon looked at the results and said I have mild sleep apnea at best. This was part of what almost prevented me from getting surgery. I believe the sleep clinic was trying to rent CPAP machines that is how they make their money. If you have a choice do an in hospital sleep study they are more accurate and they can actually tell what is going on.

The group that did the orientation for me said basically this is it, less than 5 mins. The person before me got about a 20 min orientation.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Emiepie
on 5/2/18 3:33 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I had an at-home sleep study that was for 2 nights. I had to wear a "contraption" with hoses that went into my nose. I was a video of what I needed to do and was informed that if I moved too much and it slipped more than twice overnight the study would be void. The worst part was that I normally sleep with a tv on and that can cause issues with the recording so they suggested I didn't have any background noise. The machine did warn me once (which scared me) that I needed to fix the hose. Good luck.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

seattledeb
on 5/3/18 4:44 am

They didn't have the home test back when I got mine done. It does sound nice to get to take it in your own bed.

Weight loss surgery cures a lot of sleep apnea. It didn't work for me but I do have lower settings.

fiveash
on 5/7/18 9:33 am

I did the home sleep study and it was quite easy to set up. For me doing it at home was much preferred over going to a clinic. One of my first victories from losing weight was losing the CPAP machine. The CPAP machine and I were not the best of friends so it was wonderful to no longer need it.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1476 views