Biotin - and side effects

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/26/18 6:48 am

In our little community people advise others to take large amount of biotin to help hair regrowth. Since biotin is water soluble vitamin - people often believe that taking too much is ok since what we don't need - our body can easily remove.

I used to take large amount of Biotin. Ugh. And additional biotin can be useful when someone have deficiencies. But - like with everything else - too much of it can cause issues.

So here it is, don't take my word for it, or even this article, but do research potential side effects of anything you may take in excess.

7 Unexpected Dangerous Side Effects Of Taking Biotin

https://www.bustle.com/p/7-unexpected-dangerous-side-effects -of-taking-biotin-9205383

That includes:

• Allergic reaction to biotin
  • Too much biotin can cause cystic acne that develops along the chin and jawline.
  • If you are taking very high levels of biotin, it may potentially skew the results of certain lab values such as cardiac troponins (a marker used to help diagnose a heart attack) and thyroid hormone studies.
  • Biotin can cause a slower release of insulin and increase of blood sugar levels
  • Taking biotin may also wreak havoc on your digestive system
  • Negative skin reactions can also occur as a result of taking biotin
  • Biotin can cause interactions with medications, including those for cholesterol, diabetes, and anticonvulsants, and can lower the effectiveness of these drugs

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MarinaGirl
on 5/26/18 4:03 pm

The main reason NOT to take biotin is because high levels of biotin in dietary supplements can cause clinically significant incorrect lab test results. Here's a statement on this from the FDA. Besides, there is no good data that it helps with hair regrowth.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/18 4:18 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

My grandmother has been a hairdresser for well over 50 years, she always told me biotin was kind of useless for hair regrowth anyway. The only thing she ever said made any kind of difference was actually a GOOD quality fish oil. When I was feeling anxiety over my hair she bought me some expensive fish oil vitamins, and I do feel like it helped. Enough that others also noticed over a few months that my hair had thickened up. Whether it's actually been helped by the fish oil, or that I've taken time to get better nutrition i.e. correct amount of my multivit and iron as well as more fresh produce.

lbalaw2
on 5/26/18 5:27 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

My endocrinologist told me to avoid biotin as it interferes with absorption of Synthroid (thyroid hormone). Just FYI. A small amount is in my bariatric vitamins which also interfere with thyroid hormone absorption. I must take my vitamins 5 hours after I have taken my Synthroid.

lbalaw2
on 5/26/18 5:36 pm
VSG on 09/19/17

I must correct myself. Biotin does not interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone but it does interfere with the lab tests that are used to monitor thyroid hormones. Sorry about that. Do not want to be incorrect.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1520 views