Hospital packing list

TheWombat
on 5/29/18 11:45 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Here's what I'm planning to bring to the hospital for my surgery. I would appreciate any suggestions of things to add or remove!

hospital packing list

biotene mouthwash (for dry mouth)
gasx
toothbrush
toothpaste
moisturiser - face
chapstick
shampoo
conditioner
soap for sensitive skin
baby wipes
antiperspirant

brush
scrunchie

pajama bottoms x 2
extra top just in case
underwear
socks
slippers
shower cap
earplugs
sleeping mask
robe
throw pillow to hold during drive home

phone
charging cable
laptop? (I'll be in the hospital for 5 days. I know that's longer than usual, but it's what my surgeon does.)

and for home, during recovery:

thermometer
vitamins - I got the PatchMD patches for the first month to make it easy on my new stomach
baby bowls
baby spoons
small freezer containers
massage oil for skin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/18 1:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A laptop might be difficult to use, since your abdomen will be quite sore. Do you have a tablet or e-reader? That would probably be easier to use.

You may find that PJ pants rub uncomfortably on your incisions. I got an oversized flannel house dress (like this) and wore it for the first several weeks. Much more comfortable!

A few more things I would suggest for having on hand at home:

• Tiny paper drinking cups-- I got the 3oz ones for the bathroom.
  • Protein powder and shakes
  • SF gelatin
  • SF popsicles
  • Many kinds of SF drinks: lemonade, tea, "water enhancer" drops, etc.
  • A suction-cup grab bar for your shower, if you're wobbly on your feet
  • Warm socks and a spare fuzzy blanket; many of us become quite cold after surgery
  • A water bottle that you can carry with you everywhere

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 5/29/18 2:18 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Excellent suggestions, thank you. I'll add those to my shopping list. Yeah, I guess I can do without the laptop. After all, I can read email on my phone. And there will be a TV in my room. Since I don't have a TV at home (gave it up years ago), that will be a nice change.

CC C.
on 5/29/18 1:43 pm

5 days!? Bizarre. I was home after one night and walking my 85 pound dog alone by day 3.

TheWombat
on 5/29/18 2:35 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Yeah, I was surprised by the 5 days (4 nights). I had my gallbladder removed years ago and I went to a party the next day. My surgeon says he keeps people longer because of the risk of pneumonia.

The longer hospital stay turns out to be convenient for me. The hospital is 1-1/2 hours away, which is a long trip if I'm feeling unwell and need to go back for additional treatment (e.g., getting dehydrated), so I'd like to be confident I'm OK before I leave. Plus, I live alone, and none of my friends live nearby, so it wouldn't be convenient to stay with a friend. This way, I think I should be able to take care of myself when I'm released. And insurance is paying for it.

I imagine that if I do end up feeling great, I might be able to convince the surgeon to let me go a day early.

CC C.
on 5/29/18 3:26 pm

I was begging to go home within 24 hours when they put a woman with an impacted colon next to me in a shared room. They put a portable commode on the other side of the curtain less than a foot from my head. Her enormous family was crammed into the room watching her try to poop as she moaned and wailed. I was on the phone in 2 seconds with my doctor to commence begging. That plus the multiple blood draws and vitals being taken through night makes for a terrible resting environment. Take earplugs.

I live alone too and sent my friend home after the first night he stayed with me. I was so gassy and just wanted to be left alone to try to pass the gas. I had no issues being alone! Best of luck to you!

Teresa G.
on 5/29/18 7:02 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

OMG.

I am SO hoping that they will put me and Nancy (my sleeve sister and bf) into a room together. And that she doesn't moan and wail. I'll cover her face with a pillow if she does.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

SNCplus2
on 5/29/18 1:47 pm
VSG on 05/07/18

The item I valued most in the hospital was my bed/sleeping pillow (from home). In addition to helping me sleep, I used it on the ride home. I asked the hospital for a stack of the disposable 1 oz cups, which came in handy the first few days at home.

VSG 5/7/2018

Height: 5ft 7in; HW: 254; SW: 219; original goal: 150; maintenance goal: 135-140; CW: 138

Knitter215
on 5/29/18 2:44 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Brought my own pillow from home (I love my pillow) and an extension cord. Outlets are in funky places.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

MJSpencer
on 5/29/18 5:59 pm
VSG on 03/29/18

A laptop should be ok as you'll have one of those hospital tables on wheels that can go over the bed I presume.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views