Low blood pressure

Melody P.
on 6/4/18 5:27 pm - Amarillo, TX

I have been having consistently low-ish blood pressure. My doctors know about it and I no longer take a med for highs. It's to the point where I get dizzy if I stand up and start walking to fast. A handful of times I've kind of fell back into sitting.

I take my BP once a day at least. It's running 100 +/- a few points at the most over 55-62, sometimes less.

I see my surgeon on the 25th. I'll be bringing it up again. The dizziness I hate and it's been causing the back of my eyes to kind of ache when I get dizzy. I have diabetic retinopathy so it's been a concern. I also see my eye doctor on 7-05.

My question is to some of you that have been through this process, does this go away? Did you have to do something certain to help not have low BP?

Thanks and I appreciate any tips!

The Salty Hag
on 6/4/18 5:56 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Regarding the low blood pressure, mine consistently runs mid/high 90's over low 60's. I did get orthostatic hypotension upon standing for a while after surgery while I was losing weight; especially while I was losing rapidly. I still occasionally get it, but not anywhere nearly as often. I add extra salt to everything possible to sort of bump up my BP slightly. YMMV on that.

I can't answer about your eyes aching during dizzy spells, but I hope you can find the answers! It sounds scary.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/18 6:35 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

When I was fat, my BP was that of a normal person. After surgery, it was so low I got dizzy every time I stood up, etc. My nutritionist recommended more salt in my diet. I did that, and spent more time talking politics. It worked. For the most part, I am back up to low normal. Every now and then I get a dizzy spell, but it has greatly diminished.

Partlypollyanna
on 6/5/18 3:33 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Talking politics will definitely help with the low BP, lol!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/18 7:11 pm
Amy R.
on 6/4/18 7:36 pm, edited 6/4/18 12:36 pm

It does seem to be a thing for many in the earliest post op months. Passing out is not unheard of, and while that in itself isn't necessarily harmful falling down when it happens can cause some real damage. (I fractured my eye socket when I hit our hardwood floors cheek first a few years ago. )

It should get better once your weight loss slows. With a history of it you'll probably want to check with your docs if it doesn't. Like both you and Audrey I have it chronically and I hate it but it's manageable.

Seeing them in a month-ish is probably good. If it's causing you concern, running it by your nurse might be a good idea.

The only tip I have is to try and remember to get up slowly. It's easy to be in a hurry and get a few good steps away from a chair or someplace to sit before it hits.

edited. That eye pain would worry me enough to run it by someone.

Lina_Ann
on 6/4/18 8:18 pm

Mine is quite low too. I have fainted 3 times from my low blood pressure. My doctor says I need to hydrate and eat more. Definitely bring it up to your doctor, there are a bunch of reasons it could be happening.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

seattledeb
on 6/4/18 8:21 pm

Very common.

The big rule...don't fall down. It's a mind change. No rapid getting up. If you feel dizzy sit right back down.

Also increasing fluids can help.

Hope it passes quuckly.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/18 2:59 am

I had to increase salt in my diet. Specially in summer months. Even now, 10 years post op.

Specially at the beginning we don't eat a lot, and a lot of times food - drinks we have is very low in sodium. Like there is max of sodium we should not go over, there is also the minimum requirement of sodium our body need.

Sometimes in summer, specially when I am out in the heat, I take salt tablets to make sure I replenish what I lose due to perspiration.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erin T.
on 6/5/18 4:37 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Orthostatic Hypotension is very common post-WLS, especially in the WL phase. For most people, it resolves after the rapid WL is over. I've been in maintenance 8-9 months and I only notice mine if I change positions rapidly during intense exercise. So, going from forward fold to mountain pose during heated yoga will bother me, etc.

I still have quite low BP (95-100/55-60 is normal for me), but I don't feel bad at all.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1479 views