Weight Loss Stall after one week of surgery

caroleslo2
on 7/15/18 8:20 am
Revision on 06/28/18

I just had revision surgery on 6/28/18. I had the RNY surgery 20 years ago and my pouch opened and i gained all my weight back. My pouch was fixed and after surgery in a week i lost 18 lbs but then i stalled.

I have actually gained 3 lbs since my weight loss stopped. I am walking every day, eating 60 grams of protein 2 premiere shakes a day, getting in my water. I know plateaus are normal but I am getting scared that maybe I can't loose weight?

I know the best weight loss is the first 6 months to a year and they say a second surgery you normally do not loose as much as the first so i am worried time is ticking and i am not loosing. Anyone have this happen to them so soon after surgery? What can i do to kick start the weight loss again?

Gwen M.
on 7/15/18 9:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is totally normal. You probably went through the same experience after your first surgery too! Take deep breaths, be patient.

I assume you're on liquids right now, so just work on getting your 60+ grams of protein and 64+ ounces of liquid in every day while your stomach heals.

If the daily fluctuations (or lack thereof) both you, I recommend using something like Trendweight.com which really helps you to focus on the trend of your weight instead of the day to day number. It's been a lifesaver for me since I get very obsessed about numbers.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

caroleslo2
on 7/15/18 3:00 pm
Revision on 06/28/18

Thank you for your response. Yes i am still on liquids....Just Thursday I was able to switch to puree foods....so I have had some cottage cheese and eggs....i noticed that eating food I am not able to get the amount of protein in. I am drinking the premier shakes. Today I stopped the eggs and went back to the protein shake had one for breakfast and one for lunch so dinner i might try an egg because I got in the 60 grams of protein.

My prior surgery was 20 years ago so I do not remember this happening at the beginning.....although I thought I only lost 20 lbs the first month and each month where as this time the first week i lost 15 lbs and then stalled. I am patient I know it has to come off again I just was surprised it happened to so fast.

Thank you for the tip on Trendweight....I am going to look into that. Thank you again for your response and encouragement!

NYMom222
on 7/15/18 7:01 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I stalled one week after surgery and then lost nothing for 3 ½ weeks. Even though I was a heavyweight even though I was eating about 400 calories a day at that point. Stalls happen.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

caroleslo2
on 7/16/18 9:53 am
Revision on 06/28/18

Thank you! It is encouraging to hear it happens to people and it shall pass. I am starting to feel reassured and to just continue doing what I am supposed to and it will happen in its own time.

Most Active