Overeaters Annonymous??

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 8:30 am

I am thinking about trying a meeting tomorrow. Has anyone found the support good? I need some extra support and struggling.

I went to a few meetings in my very early 20's many years ago (now 51). I did not like back then as I seem to remember people would cry and seem hopeless. It made me feel worse rather then up lifted. At that time it was depressing environment. I googled and have read some people love it. I wonder how they feel about WLS?

what are others experience with the meetings? Has it helped as an added tool?

Thanks

megan

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 9:03 am

I have yet to go to OA just because I am in AA so time wise I don't really have extra.

Try it. You may like it or you may not like going to my meetings. Just connecting and relating to others has helped.

i I know without it I would have never gotten sober.

Just being with others does help at least it does for me.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 9:12 am

Thanks, maybe I will. Nothing to lose. I didn't like it 30 years ago but I am an entirely different women then I was at 20 or 21. Different perspective possibly now. I just wish I has a good wls support group near me.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 2:16 pm, edited 7/27/18 7:17 am

Go with an open mind also. And without expectations.

There are a lot of people in AA that are very self righteous. Just like in the real world dealing with others can be a pain in the ass.

There are a lot of meetings I can go to. I decided recently which ones that I feel comfortable and safe talking with the people.

Good lucl

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 2:34 pm

Thanks. I guess I tell I had wls? as only requirement is to want to eat better. I can't imagine in this day and age not some wls people who attend.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 2:38 pm

I don't know if I would tell since they are strangers at this point. I would wait till you are comfortable. Sometimes people I have no problem telling. Others just don't deserve to know.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 2:44 pm

You are right. Just that I don't look that overweight even though I need 25 lbs off and I worry about judge why I am there. I carry the extra well but def needs to go! I guess I think too much!

SweetRide1
on 7/27/18 9:41 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I've been to OA meetings in the past and at first I found them helpful.

I stopped going because I just couldn't buy into it entirely. I know this type of program is hugely successful for millions of people but for me, it lacked something.

I have two very good support groups, 1 through the hospital, and another private, that I attend regularly and I really find these groups helpful.

Sometimes you have to try different chapters of OA to find the right mix of people that will make "what works for you".

Good Luck!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/18 9:49 am

Thanks!

Finding good in person support can be tough ..., keep it alive if your hospital has it!

Gwen M.
on 7/27/18 3:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

When I was trying to solve my binge eating by myself, it's one of the many things I tried. I think that, like many support groups, its usefulness will depend entirely on the group. My local group was not useful for me - it was small and very much "higher power = god" focused. But, I went with an open mind and I'm glad I tried it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1402 views