New Here and need some help

fishing_5
on 7/29/18 3:25 pm

1st of I'm new here. My surgeon and nutritionist recommended i look onto the forums for some additional help/advice. I'm in the process of getting my insurance to approve for the weight loss surgery. I've been told it will be tough prior and after. Have to eat certain foods, avoid a lot of the foods i'm eating now. Which I'm ready for change. My nutritionist said I should look into meal replacement shakes. So I've been looking. There's a lot out there. Can anyone tell me from experience which one is the best/better choice. I wanna try those shakes and see how they are lol.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/18 4:45 pm
VSG on 01/12/17
On July 29, 2018 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, fishing_5 wrote:

1st of I'm new here. My surgeon and nutritionist recommended i look onto the forums for some additional help/advice. I'm in the process of getting my insurance to approve for the weight loss surgery. I've been told it will be tough prior and after. Have to eat certain foods, avoid a lot of the foods i'm eating now. Which I'm ready for change. My nutritionist said I should look into meal replacement shakes. So I've been looking. There's a lot out there. Can anyone tell me from experience which one is the best/better choice. I wanna try those shakes and see how they are lol.

I love premier protein ready made shakes. Also welcome! It is hard before and after, but there is a lot of support here and guidance.

Candrews1
on 7/30/18 7:59 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

Only good Premier shakes are the chocolate ones. IMO the others are gross..

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/18 12:47 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

To each their own. I like all their flavors.

Candrews1
on 7/30/18 1:44 pm - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

I tried vanilla and butterscotch.....just didn't taste good at all. I drink the chocolate one every day though. But yes your right, to each their own.

I haven't found any good powders so I just stuck what tasted good and haven't left it.

peachpie
on 7/29/18 5:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I like syntrax nectars- chocolate truffle and vanilla bean.

Amazon has them- or Vitamin Shoppe. Vitamin shoppe has quiet a few brands worth trying.

Beware of Isopure- I think it tasted awful.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Partlypollyanna
on 7/29/18 5:30 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I use the premier protein ready to drink shakes almost daily, I just started some of the Syntrax nectars and really like those. Everyone's tastes are different so take the recommendations as a starting point. I will say I tried one pea protein shake and pretty sure I won't do thang again as I didn't like the taste or the texture - again, tastes will vary! Good luck finding a few you like!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gwen M.
on 7/29/18 5:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hello and welcome! I hope they've given you more information that just to drink shakes?

What you actually want to look for is a protein shake, not a meal replacement shake. Meal replacement shakes tend to be too high in carbs and sugars. You want to find shakes that have "whey protein isolate" as the first ingredients, because that's the protein that's best absorbed. There are some good readymade ones out there (good in terms of ingredients) but I can't stand the taste of any of them. My go to shake is Optimum Nutrition's double rich chocolate which I mix with 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk.

Basically, you'll want to experiment until you find something you can tolerate or that you like. One of the things you can start practicing now is nutrition label reading - it's a useful skill pre and post op!

Most people tend to have a liquid diet for some period of time pre-op (like a week) and then some period of time post-op (like two weeks). So during those times, you'll be drinking a lot of protein shakes.

Then, most people go through a diet progression of pureed foods and then soft solids before they get to eat actual real, solid food.

The post-op "forever" diet is fairly protein forward, low carb, and varying degrees of fat. Another thing you can start working on now is replacing non-protein foods with protein, and eating the protein on your plate first before you eat anything else.

Hydration is also super important post-op, so work on practicing keeping yourself hydrated throughout the day with some sort of calorie-free liquid (water, crystal light, not sugared soda, juice, or alcohol). Additionally, drinking during meals will be forbidden post-op, so that's another good thing to practice pre-op :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/29/18 5:47 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The shakes I like were the premier protein & Orgain shakes. Syntax nectar was ok too. I also liked the Chike protein coffee. This stuff however can be pricey, plus your tastes can change after surgery. So I wouldn't commit to buying any tubs. See if you can get any sample packets from Vitamin Shop or GNC.

I also try to get a good protein to calorie ratio. Like at least 10 grams of protein for every 100 calories. That way you don't end up with a high calorie drink with little protein in it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

PCBR
on 7/29/18 6:01 pm

The Premier Proteins are definitely convenient, taste pretty good (to me) and definitely make me feel satiated. The Nectars are great for changing things up(they have fruity flavors). Lately, I really am liking Isopure zero carb. It mixes very smoothly and can be modified according to your taste (I add a splash of coffee). I mix it with Fairlife skim milk and that supplies about half of my protein for the day, which is nice for me because I prefer food to shakes (so I want shakes to pack a punch).

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Most Active