Protein Powder Recommendation

OnlyWhenPigsFly
on 8/8/18 7:35 am

I have searched this forum but can't find a thread on this that is more recent than 2012 (maybe the search function isn't that great?). I apologize if this has been asked recently.

What is the best tasting protein powder? Is it too much to ask for low in sugar and good tasting?

Thanks in advance,

Ann

catwoman7
on 8/8/18 7:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

people's tastes are so different that you're likely to get 100 different answers to this question. That said, I like Syntrax and Unjury products. I can't taste the protein in either brand.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

rocky513
on 8/8/18 7:58 am - WI

Everyone's taste is so different. What might taste great to me the next person would hate. After surgery what tastes great before surgery may be terrible after surgery (something about the surgery itself changes your taste buds...I swear!) My advice would be to go to a nutrition store and buy sample packets of many different brands or order them online. That will be the best way to find one you like.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Linda W.
on 8/8/18 8:17 am - Clearlake, CA

I personally like the Click protein powder for the taste, the coffee included in it, and the fact that it is easy to drink either hot or cold. Most protein powders do not heat up well. It also mixes very well with water, milk, or coffee. That being said, it is a personal choice. As stated already in this post, everyone's taste is different, and what you like before surgery you may not be able to drink after surgery. The sample packs are the way to go, to find the one or ones that work best for you.

Linda    
momyshaver
on 8/8/18 10:20 am
VSG on 06/28/17

My favorite whey isolate powder brands right now are Syntrax and Dymatize. I use another brand of vanilla whey isolate sometimes as a base to add things to for protein supplement shakes and isopure for savory or if I don't want the powder to add too much flavor I can't cover up with a stronger flavor (chicken broth for example or mashed potatoes or whatever)

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/18 1:16 pm, edited 8/8/18 6:20 am

Hi there,

I had my surgery 10 years ago and a year ago I went back to whey protein powders after not using for years (to get in some extra protein). Upon a recommendation here I bought Syntrax mint cookie and optimum double rich chocolate. I took a chance on a third flavor Syntrax peanut butter cookie I found while purchasing the others and I like it the best! To me all excellent and much better then the isopure and some others I bought before surgery. I do a scoop of the optimum nutrition double Rich Choc and a half of a scoop either syntrax mint cookie or half a scoop peanut butter cookie. I like mine with a cup of almond milk and with a cup of ice in the blender.

They also blend wonderful in chobani nonfat plain Greek yogurt (I like the peanut butter alone or mint alone most with the yogurt) just mix with a spoon (no blender).

Here they are..... the mint and peanut butter I have had to order from vitacost or GNC. Not in stores near me. Optimum Nutrition double Rich chocolate you can find in GNC and vitamin shop.

syntrax mint cookie

https://www.vitacost.com/syntrax-matrix-2-0-mint-cookie

Syntrax peanut butter cookie

https://www.vitacost.com/syntrax-matrix-2-0-peanut-butter-co okie-2-lbs-1

Optimum Double Rich Chocolate

https://www.vitacost.com/optimum-nutrition-gold-standard-100 -whey-double-rich-chocolate-2-lbs

I like combining the optimum nutrition with one of the syntrax for the ultimate best flavor rather then alone. The double rich chocolate is not sickening sweet and so combined is nice.

megan

(Edit to Take out last sentence about recent revisions-sorry mixed you up with another post I had just read! Oops!

Gwen M.
on 8/8/18 1:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Taste is so subjective, but my favorite is Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate. It's whey protein isolate so great for us.

You can get samples from Nashua Nutrition.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/18 3:46 pm

Hi Gwen, you were the one who mentioned your favorites last year and I ran with them immediately...I think great! :) thanks. A staple now in my kitchen!

I joined WW last week and putting a level scoop of the mint cookie into 1 measured cup of chobani geek plain non fat yogurt. Wonderful treat and high protein for 3 points! Syntrax peanut butter cookie wonderful too... I think if you like PB of course.

Partlypollyanna
on 8/8/18 2:13 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I like the syntrax and I use the celebrate 100 calorie packs when I travel. I also made my own on Tru nuitriton's website and it's pretty good. It's more of a site for body builders I guess but it lets you customize the type of protein, how heavy the flavor is and even sweetener, I think.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

212121cb
on 8/19/18 9:40 pm
VSG on 07/23/18

I like Unjury products. They will send you samples if you order something. I also like whey products.

Most Active