B12 Deficiency question

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 8/11/18 4:04 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Hello, it's been a minute since I have posted on this site, but I always get the best help here with my questions.

So lately for the past few weeks I've been feeling so run down, chronic sore throat, sore sensitive tongue and numbness in my hands and feet off an on. I've been on 3 rounds of antibiotics, steroids and a referral to an ENT all to no avail. During this time my surgeon ordered labs since I am due for my 6 month revision check up. Two labs stood out to me as being low. My B12 was 290 and my potassium was 3.4. I looked at my labs from my 1 month check up and my 3 month check up. My B12 has gone from 600's to 300's and now 290 over the course of 4-5 months. Could this decrease in B12 be causing my throat, tongue and weakness problems? I started taking a B12 sublingual every day for a week but I don't notice any differences yet in how I'm feeling.

The other odd thing is since all this I have been so hungry! I feel like I am able to eat more then normal. At first I thought it was the steroids but I've been off them for 2 weeks now and I still feeling like I am starving. I get in 75 oz water a day and 100 grams of protein.

I'm kinda at my wits end trying to figure this out and if it's related to my bypass or not. Has anyone else had similar issues with low B12?

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/11/18 4:10 pm - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

Yes I had the same problem and made an appt. with a hematologist. I get B12 shots and then get checked for blood work every 3 months to see how I'm doing. I can't give myself needles bc I'm a huge baby but my bf gives them to me. I started with 1 shot a day then it moved to 1 a week and then bi-weekly and now I'm at 1 a month.

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 8/11/18 4:12 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

Do you have a sore tongue that was also sensitive to acidic foods and mouth wash? That's the biggest thing for me. My ENT thinks it's just a viral thing buts it's gone on for weeks.

SkinnyNikki7
on 8/11/18 4:16 pm - Vineland, NJ
VSG on 08/13/12

That is the only thing I didn't have. I had chronic fatigue, feeling weak, tingling and numbness in hands and feet and my B12 was really low. I would def get that checked out maybe by your regular physician and see if they think it could be viral. Maybe it is bacterial instead and you need an antibiotic. I hope your feeling better soon!

Height = 5'2 Age = 37 Surgery Date = August 13, 2012 HW = 231lbs LW = 131lbs

Regain SW = 209.6 CW = 191.2 Goal Weight = 157.6 lbs

The only way you will see results is if you stay consistent!

NYMom222
on 8/11/18 8:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I take 2 sublingual B-12 1000mcg per day to keep my levels up. (I buy at Trader Joe's)

You are very low and could definitely be tired and causing other symptoms.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/11/18 9:51 pm

My body doesn't retain B12. And I realized that even when itook a lot of them every day ((5000mcg ++ of B12 sublingual) by blood work showed B12 deficiencies.

After a few years my only solution is weekly B12 shots. But most people don't need that much.

If you were depleted - it may takes weeks to get and maintain good levels. I aim for B12 to be 800-1500. Less than 800 - and I don't feel well.

When I was a child - teenager Igor sick often with upper respiratory infection, or sinus infection. My aunt was a nurse and every time I felt that I am getting sick, she would give me a B12 shot and I either did not get sick, but when I did, it was almost alwara smiled case.

B12 is necessary to build RBC, plus it is protective to our nerves. Chronic let B12 , less that 500 can lead to a serious and permanent ssues with brain and our extremities.

As for the mouth and troath - that to me would indicate Yeast - Candida. Internal yeast infection, specially since you were on antibiotics and steroids.

Google Candida symptoms and you would find low energy, craving for foods (mostly carbs) plus mouth and throat sensitivity to acid foods.

Unfortunately without the trash in the mouth, it is difficult to diagnose candid.

I have that and I try to manage it. It gets better, but when I start getting more tired, start itching, and really crave carby stuff I know that my Candida is out of control and I treat it. I use mostly herbs and other otc "natural," stuff, but when I don't get better after a few days - I take Rx meds.

Google Candida and how to treat it more using alternative methods.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/18 11:09 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Do you take a b12 vitamin? Sorry if your post said, I am on my phone. If you do, or will start, take a sublingual

Laura in Texas
on 8/12/18 5:55 am, edited 8/11/18 11:27 pm

My plan says to take 500 mcg of sublingual B12 every day and then we adjust depending on what my labs show. I am surprised your surgeon did not tell you to take this.

Many of us like our B12 at the top or a little above the recommended range. I feel best when my levels are around 1000.

ETA taking it for a week is not enough time for your levels to increase much- keep taking it and have your doctor re-check in a few months

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 8/12/18 7:59 am
Revision on 03/14/18

I'm surprised myself that I haven't heard from them about it being low. My levels where always great when I had the sleeve and since my revision in March they have declined. When I go for my follow up in a month, I'm gonna inquire about the shot to help boost the levels.

chevtow41
on 8/13/18 6:43 am
DS on 11/11/14

Start taking a B12 in morning and evening to try and bring the level up, it will take time. Nice thing is high B12 isn't dangerous so if you take a bit too much you'll be ok. I've been over 2000 for 5 years

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1431 views