Keto MCT Oil after RNY?

100less
on 8/22/18 4:51 am - Stafford, VA

I had my RNY surgery 03/02/2004. I lost 100 (250 to 150). Over the last two years I have been gaining. I went from 180 to 197 inn month in June and FREAKED. I realized it is time to get serious. I started Keto July 1. I've lost the 17 lbs and now Interminit fasting. My hunger is gone. No sugar, no processed carbs, Lots of greens.

One major part of Keto is MCT oil in the morning helps you stay in Ketosis. It goes right through me within 30 minutes--assuming its because of my RNY?? Anyone trying Keto? Has the oil worked for you?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/24/18 9:18 am
RNY on 08/05/19

From what I've read, ketosis is good, but reducing calories is ultimately the thing that will help you lose intake. MCT oil is high in calories (100 cal per tablespoon) and it doesn't have any protein, which is the highest priority for post-op eating. I would suggest skipping it, especially if it doesn't play well with your stomach, and getting your fats through foods.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/18 2:07 pm

I often go on keto and Intermittent fasting and stay on it since it not only helps me lose or maintain my weight, but it also helps my IBS. (as long as I use low fiber veggies).

MCT oil never worked for me. And it is optional - the high fat coffee. Julie is right - Keto works because not only we limit foods that stimulate insulin, most of us on Keto also drop calories.

I even tried to use the MCT oil in my baking - and even in that the oil was irritation to my system.

I use a lot of avocado, eggs, good quality Mayo, avocado oil, butter (ghee) and real raw coconut oil.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 8/28/18 7:38 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

MCT oil is known for that. We also absorb it all and it's not malabsorbed since it's a medium chain triglyceride.

You are in ketosis if your calories drop below a certain threshold (usually 500-600ish) or you limit carbohydrates. You don't need MCT oil really. A few cases where it is useful are some neurological disorders, like Alzheimer's, where the brain's ability to use glucose as fuel is damaged. MCT is very good for the brain, but also not necessary.

Ketogenic diets work well for us but I modify mine somewhat. I basically eat mostly animal products and don't add fat. Even if you ditch the MCT oil and eat greens still you should be fine.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1414 views