Weight loss and liver reduction prior to surgery

Lassally
on 9/6/18 4:59 am

Hi all,

I am soon to be scheduled for RNY in the next 2-3 months. While the RNY is being planned, if my liver is too large when the surgeon gets in there he may have to do a vsg. He wants me to lose 10 pounds before surgery and shrink the liver. I really want the rny vs the vsg and I am wondering the best way to shrink that liver. Any suggestions from those who have been there done that? Any help is truly appreciated!

Laurie

catwoman7
on 9/6/18 6:18 am
RNY on 06/03/15

most surgeons have people do a liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery - the goal of which is exactly that - to shrink the liver. Does he think your liver might be bigger than most? Losing weight in general should help - especially if you follow a low-carb diet (most of us do low-carb anyway after surgery, so starting it now will ease you into post-WLS life...)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

califsleevin
on 9/6/18 9:41 am - CA

I don't know about "most" surgeons impose these diets, but certainly the most negative feedback that we get on these forums is about the liquid pre-op diets (it is what is known as "adverse selection" where those with a problem post while those who don't are quiet, so one tends to get a skewed perspective); many, and possibly a small majority of surgeons impose some sort of pre-op diet for a week or two, or more, typically low carb but sometimes a specific weight loss goal, and liquid is a subset of these. Many don't impose any diet at all other than some day or night before protocol.The active component for the "liver shrinking" beneifit is low carb and calorie; the liquid aspect that some impose is of dubious value (I have yet to see a viable rationale for those....) - it may be to get patients used to excessively long post op liquid dieting, or it may simply be another of those "that's the way we've always done it" things.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

PCBR
on 9/6/18 6:19 am

I'm a VSGer, and was instructed to lose 3-5% of my body weight prior to surgery. It's pretty common for both surgeries. I lost 4% (10lbs) in 2-weeks on the liquid diet. Did your surgeon give you a pre op diet?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Liz J.
on 9/6/18 7:09 am
DS on 11/29/16

I had to do a liquid diet 3 weeks prior to shrink mine before my DS. Protein shakes are great way to go. You can also find protein that you like before your surgery as you'll be drinking them a lot after. Taste can change after surgery so I recommend try a bunch of different ones. Soups are good, look for higher protein and less carbs. You might want to also ask how people are eating after surgery and start researching the type of food that are best for your surgery. Since I had the DS it might be different. I, and most people that have had do low carb similar to Keto/Atkins/Low Carb, they are all "kina" the same.

Personally I like Premier the chocolate, caramel, and cookie flavor. I add them to cold brew coffee in the morning and toss it in the freezer for 40 minutes and it taste like a Starbucks Frappe. I also like Protein 20 which are more like flavored water and taste great cold.

Good luck,

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/18 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

As you've pointed out, tastes change. Finding a protein that you like before surgery is a waste, since OP may not like them post-op.

Liz J.
on 9/6/18 8:11 am
DS on 11/29/16

Well, I liked 90% of the ones after surgery that I liked before. You should a few at home so when you get out of the hospital you don't have to go pick stuff up. Having 2 or 3 different ones at home (only 2 or 3 of each) is better than going home to non and having nothing you can eat.

Liz

on 9/6/18 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh I absolutely agree that you should have some on hand when you home. But I know people who liked absolutely NONE of the protein they liked before. So I think sampling ahead of time is pretty pointless.

Liz J.
on 9/6/18 8:21 am
DS on 11/29/16

So, you're saying she shouldn't get any? Just buy something to have on hand... wow.

Your answers are very confusing... She needs to be on a liquid diet before her surgery, protein drinks are great for that, if she buys them for that she should have a few at home to get her through a few days after surgery before having to go out. Buying a few little four packs isn't the same as ordering a case.

Just so you know, if you buy them at Walmart and keep your receipt, you can return the ones you don't like missus the one you drank. They've been pretty good about it. Without your receipt, you'll be out of luck. I ended up returning to four pack (three drinks left in each one) and got a full refund.

Liz

on 9/6/18 8:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't think I was too confusing at all... wow.

Don't worry about finding a favorite before surgery. Buy an assortment and have them on hand so you can sample them when you get home.

Most Active