Medical marijuana

justlookinaround
on 9/30/18 2:48 pm

Has anyone had insurance deny them for being a medical marijuana user? One more visit to go before submit for insurance approval.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/18 3:22 am
VSG on 01/12/17

That is fairly specific. You should ask your insurance and the surgeon who would be doing your surgery.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/1/18 4:54 am

I probably would only ask my surgeon. Insurance company- they want to stuff - they would ask you. I don't lie to insurance company, but I don't volonterv information.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PCBR
on 10/1/18 6:21 am

That's a interesting question and one that will probably come up more and more. My insurance only talked about how one qualified for WLS. Since my claim was accepted, I never had to go down the rabbit hole or why they would reject it. There also might be questions of why you take it and what you take it for. Good luck in any event.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

justlookinaround
on 10/1/18 7:29 am

Thanks

Jester
on 10/4/18 5:19 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I'm not sure what state you're in, or what the rules there are, but I would ask "how would they know?" In Michigan, recommendations for Medical Marijuana are almost never done by anyone other than a doctor that specializes in only that. All other doctors that are associated with hospitals, doctors groups, etc, are generally prevented from issuing recommendations by those associations.

And the doctors that issue the marijuana recommendations virtually never take insurance. So, you have a separate doctor, a cash transaction, and no insurance involved. Therefore unless you tell anyone else, no one else knows.

Things maybe different in your state. But if they didn't know, and didn't ask, I would advise not telling them.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/4/18 5:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I also wouldn't volunteer information to the insurance company. Its none of their business.

But you absolutely need to tell the surgeon, for your own safety. Anything you are taking, even an over the counter cold medicine or vitamim, should be disclosed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathy S.
on 10/4/18 5:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Never tell your insurance company anything unless they ask and do discuss with your surgeon. Since we are in new territory as more and more states make it legal I am not sure there is any data on how taking this and surgery would interact or have any affect on the procedure and weight loss after.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jenie
on 10/11/18 2:53 am

I have Depression and Anxiety before. I felt like I don't belong in this world but I felt grateful because I have a loving husband and he helps me all along. And also a friend who suggested me to try Cannabis as a relief. I do some research about cannabis or MJ strains on this siteblimburnseeds.com/news/marijuana/news/media-tv/a-rabbi-pries t-and-atheist-smoke-weed/ . There is no official conclusive on this efficacy but when I tried this, I understand and I easily coped up the problems now.

elcee
on 10/11/18 9:12 pm

Any drug, prescription or herbal needs to be declared to your surgeon, something as simple as St John's Wort can cause excessive bleeding.

If it is medical and you are taking it for medical reasons then discussing it shouldn't be an issue.

If it is recreational rather than medical then you should probably have a rethink. Smoking of any kind is not generally thought to be good when undergoing surgery. Besides a common side effect is the munchies and that is the last thing you need if you are trying to lose weight

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views