Did you have to announce your weight in front of your classmates in your education classes?

Julia S.
on 10/9/18 7:34 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

The public weigh in at Weigh****chers was one of the reasons I quit going. I understand that they don't do it now, this was in the late 70's or early 80's so I've been told things have changed a lot. There is absolutely no reason to state your weight, to me it shows that they are no way enlightened. Why would any WLS group do this? We all know shaming doesn't work, why inflict more pain and trauma? I used to even refuse to be weighed at my doctors office. I wasn't in denial just couldn't take the humiliation and pain. I would kindly refuse and say that it is between me and my doctor and I don't feel comfortable disclosing it.

Good luck, and sorry you have to go through this.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/9/18 10:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I agree that this is fat-shaming.

If you want an "out" without making a fuss, what about something like, "Hi, my name is Roselane, and I'm down by 4lb since I started my surgery journey."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Roselane
on 10/9/18 12:05 pm

Thank you all so much for the support. Because you validated my concerns about this, I did end up telling the educator that I felt like this was fat shaming and she said that I could call and tell her my weight before class. I am happy that I had the nerve to speak up for what I felt was right, but the fact that so many of you commented on this does make me feel badly for others in the class that might have also been uncomfortable. I just hope that they consider changing this policy. The thinking seems to be that it's just a number, no big deal, we are moving forward. However, it is a big deal to me and I don't think it is a helpful practice.

Thanks again, so glad to have this form for support!

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/9/18 12:41 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Good for you! This is an outrageous thing to ask of someone and it reeks of fat shaming. I am glad you stood up for yourself and hopefully others will do the same.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Liz J.
on 10/9/18 1:57 pm
DS on 11/29/16

Why do you even need to tell her? Isn't between you and the doctor? Seems odd.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

PCBR
on 10/9/18 7:57 pm, edited 10/9/18 12:58 pm

If their reason is that it?s just a number, please tell them to go ahead and pass that along to society, because I don?t think it got the memo.

I'm gonn go ahead and guess the group leader has never been obese.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Laura in Texas
on 10/9/18 12:31 pm

I did not have to do that. I would not have complied. Perhaps you can tell how much your weight has changed but even that should only be shared if you want to. ("I lost 2 pounds this week!")

This whole thing just makes me angry. I am sorry the person running your classes is an asshole.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ljbarbara
on 10/9/18 6:37 pm

Sounds like a violation of Title II of HIPAA...The right to privacy. Does the facilitator report your weight loss progress to your insurance company or doctor? If so, he/she is transmitting privileged health information, therefore he/She must comply with HIPAA regulations. In other words...don't announce your weight to the class!

I'm sorry for your humiliation and I'm glad you've worked it out. Good luck on your journey!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Roselane
on 10/9/18 7:39 pm

I kid you not, I seriously wondered about that because I used to be a service provider and billed insurance. I was scared to death of violating HIPAA--those regs are no joke and they cover individually identifiable health information, which this is. The educator did say that we had to provide the info so it could be reported to insurance.

ljbarbara
on 10/9/18 8:25 pm

Someone should let this "educator" know about the violation. Also...what type of educator in the medical field doesnt know about HIPAA and the ramifications of violating the rules?!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120