Tell us about your complications. Keep 'em coming!

M M
on 4/25/07 7:54 am
Thanks to everyone that's answered already - keep them coming! X-Posted elsewhere:  This person wants HONEST answers, no need for selling weight loss surgery to them.  Share your story if you will: "I know these Q's many seem weird, but I am considering sx and quite frankly am scared to death of the consequences and just want to know as much as I possibly can about what may cause a potential problem. Like, was it a surgeon's error, was it bad pre-op care, bad post-op care, etc.  I mean nothing to be accusatory, and I ask with the utmost respect for what many of you have gone through."

1. What type surgery was it? 2. When/where was it done? 3. Did you follow diet/nutrition rules? 4. What types of problems are you/have you had? 5. Would you consider your surgeon a good one? 6. Were all of your pre-op tests "normal"/completed with out concern for a potential problem?

So, if anyone is out there reading this that has had a complication of WLS - answer away.

Thanks to everyone that's answered already - keep them coming!

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/07 8:03 am
If u focus on the negative of surgery you will never have it.  Be careful you could talk your self out of it.  I am so glad I had RNY.  It was the best move of my life.  At present 6 months out.  I have lost 58 lbs. and well on to my goal which is another 11 pounds.  My surgeon was the best.  I would do it again in a heart beat even with any complications I might or might not have had.  Good luck
M M
on 4/25/07 8:07 am
(We're looking for negatives.  All the possible negatives.) Thanks anyways, and good luck!
~Joy~ .
on 4/25/07 8:19 am - KY
I am pre/op and I prefer nothing be sugar coated.  I want all the positives as well as negatives.  They always go hand in hand in life. To be honest.  Sure Id like to be thin.  Never have been thin in my life though so I think it will come as a huge shock to me once the time comes that I am.  But, I would not have this surgery if it wasnt for all the health issues my weight has caused...  The way it stands now is I am having this surgery in hopes of living.  Its become life or death...

Just a lil note to warn all pre and post ops. GET YOUR PROTEIN IN EVERYDAY!!!  I have done rather crappy with mine since day 1 and I am paying dearly with VERY slow weight loss, major hair loss, and all out feelin like shit!  PLEASE!!!!  Follow your program's rules!!

M M
on 4/25/07 8:47 pm
"I am pre/op and I prefer nothing be sugar coated." That is refreshing.  I dump from all the sugar 'round here as it is.
~Joy~ .
on 4/25/07 10:51 pm - KY
  You and me both!

Just a lil note to warn all pre and post ops. GET YOUR PROTEIN IN EVERYDAY!!!  I have done rather crappy with mine since day 1 and I am paying dearly with VERY slow weight loss, major hair loss, and all out feelin like shit!  PLEASE!!!!  Follow your program's rules!!

M M
on 4/25/07 10:54 pm
Glad we have an understanding. 
Tallmama
on 4/25/07 8:11 am - Stepford, OH
Well, so far I have the most bizarre complication.... I have had blurred vision since surgery. My eyes have been checked by my eye doctor and I have had a field vision test and all came back "normal". They tell me I did not have a stroke or "episode" during surgery so they seem to be writing it off to my "body adjusting" and want me to give it time. The other thing is the god-awful pain I still have in my left side 3 weeks out. I hear he did most of the manipulation from there and it is also where my drain was...so, whatever. Hopefully that will be better soon. Thats it for me! -Karen
M M
on 4/25/07 8:18 am
Karen- Thanks for your reply.  My eyes got progressively worse with weight loss, too.  Another one of those "symptoms" I have on my list.
dtec53
on 4/25/07 8:21 am
Hi,  My complications have been I had a small leak after surgery and had to stay in the hospital for 13 days and now that I'm home I can't seem to drink anything without getting sick.  I have already been back in the hospital for dehydration once.  I have tried every possible kind of water and/or liquid and still am having a problem.  If I get 4 oz. of water in a day I'm lucky.  It makes it very difficult to take all the vitamins that are required after.  I can only eat extremely small amounts of food, which I guess is a good thing, but it concerns me about getting the proper nutrition.  I'm told in the end it will all be worth so I'm keeping a positive attitude and I'm looking for liquid suggestions.   Debbie
Most Active