Prednisone? Can we take it?

Want2BeThin4Life
on 9/18/07 10:10 pm
I know we can't take nsaids but yesterday my doctor told me regular steriods where ok.  She put me on it to try to resolve some of my back pain since muscle relaxers and all weren't working so great.  Now someone said i shouldnt take steriods either is this true,  i already had 30mg worth and want to make sure before i take anymore.  And of course dr doesn't open til 9 so any input would be great thanks.

281/268.5/133
Past goal and my wildest dreams!
LBL and Medial Thighs 1-29-07

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/07 10:39 pm - River Falls, WI
Steroids in general are not something you want to take long term or frequently no matter what. In particularly in women, recent studies have indicated that frequent or prolonged use contribute to premature bone loss--something that none of us wants.   However, it won't be a problem for your pouch, and you do need to resolve the back issues so you can lead a normal, comfortable life.  I resisted taking them this past winter for a mysterious neck problem, but once I did, everything resolved itself in just a matter of days. Just what I know. Ann
Sporty Jill
on 9/19/07 12:03 am - Norfolk, VA
My doc put me on them yesterday for sciatic nerve issues.  It's a 5 day pack. My WLS said that I could take this, since it was not a long term medication (once the 5 days are up, that's it) and I MUST take it with food.  No empty pouch.

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/07 2:10 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
Prednisone is something even non-ops are cautioned not to do long-term, but it is a life-saving medication, particularly for me with my respiratory issues. A 30mg dose is relatively conservative.  I was in the ER with breathing issues 3 weeks ago, I was given a 60mg dose right away to "break" the lung problem, and sent home with a 5-day course of one 50mg tablet taken each morning.  And I did fine. You'll want to have a few bites of food or milk on board when you take it - same advice for non-ops/post-ops alike.  It's not corosive, just "strong" and can make you nauseous on an empty stomach. I found that as a pre-op, it tended to make me feel hungry, but as a post-op, I noticed it actually had the opposite effect for me and tamed my appetite a bit more than usual, likely because the tablet took up space in the pouch when I took it. Be prepared for temporary water weight gain, but as soon as you're off it, the water will "whoosh" - I was having to go every 2 hours for a couple of days once it was leaving my system.
Most Active