Question for Post-ops- carrying the weight

KellyMASS
on 4/4/08 5:02 am, edited 4/4/08 5:02 am - MA
Do you ever wonder how you carried the weight you have lost? I know we did it .. but looking back I wonder how I carried 353lbs around.. or even 300lbs
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

It_is_SO_happening
on 4/4/08 5:06 am - MA
I guess we just dont realize it! It kind of all adds up and that all we knew you know? it is weird looking back but THANK god its over LOL
tmn9761
on 4/4/08 5:07 am - New Port Richey, FL
Yes!  All the time!  In fact just yesterday, I bought a 40 pound bag of dog food from Sam's.  I lugged that thing from the car to the garage and into the house and about died!  And that was only 40 pounds!!!  How the HECK did I lug around an extra 126 POUNDS??!!!!  How DID we do it??!!!!  I also put it into perspective this way.  My youngest daughter weighs 126 pounds - back in "the day" - I carried an adult woman around on my body continuously!  Wow!  It amazes me to think about it!

~ Terri - Come on and CRUISE TO LOSE with us!

Cathy W.
on 4/4/08 5:10 am
I think about that a lot.  It is amazing to me the extra weight I carried day in and day out for so many years.  No wonder I was tired and took naps whenever I could. I'm grateful every day that I had the surgery and for the life I have today. Your post is meaningful and really made me think about it again. Thanks, Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Ruth A.
on 4/4/08 5:12 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
I am always amazed how I managed to carry the weight around.  When I lift something heavy I look to see how much it weighs and it is no-where near how much weight I have lost. No wonder we feel so different now...

Shelly B.
on 4/4/08 5:20 am - Lakewood, CO

I know what you mean! It is amazing that we were able to actually carry it around!  People say that I walk much faster now and I tell them this is the pace that I always thought I walked- it just took a lot longer for the signal to get to my legs!  Shelly

lea2be
on 4/4/08 6:01 am - LaBelle, FL
We have animals and I buy about 400 pounds of feed a week and it has to be hauled up 5 steps to the storage area.  When I start up those steps toting ONE of the 50 pound feed sacks, I sometimes remind myself that I should be able to carry FOUR at one time as I've lost 212 pounds...  Ain't NO way I could do it though!  How I did it then, I will never know and don't want to go back there to do any "studies" either!  LOL Lea

Lovin' Life with Lea

Lea in WV   HW410/CW220/GW185   Proximal RNY 8/29/06
ObesityHelp Mini-Challenge Support Group Leader
CLICK HERE for discount codes for savings on various WLS-friendly products!

ladyr861
on 4/4/08 6:30 am - Tewksbury, MA
I remember seeing a "biggest loser" show once when they made the contestants wear "fat" suits, that weighed as much as each of them had lost.  They had to wear them in a race around a track.  They couldn't believe how difficult it was!  When I am at the gym, I find that my legs are proportionately stronger than my arms.  Well no wonder!  My legs have been doing weigh training for years!  My feet and my knees are becoming less and less pissed off at me.  I think that any "never been fat" people that have unkind thoughts when they watch an MO person walk around, ought to wear a fat suit for a day.  Perhaps they will then have a bit more empathy for what we  (used to) have to carry around.

JustJean
on 4/4/08 6:37 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 08/25/06 with
Well, I know that pre-op, I was always in pain and always tired...  makes sense!   I sometimes carry my 40-pound nephew around, and my daughter tells me - "he's too heavy for you!", but I don't feel it.  I'm much stronger than I look, and I attribute that to having carried around the extra 185 pounds for so many years! 

Sat on the loser's bench 8-25-06!! 
High 334/PreOp 275/Curr 168

Made it to goal, then gained again...  working back to goal of 155!! 

The Lord doesn't require us to succeed, He only requires that you try - Mother Teresa

Chavon T.
on 4/4/08 8:21 am - Irmo, SC
Yeah, my 336 was a lot to carry and I wonder why I never thought of it that way then.  I just talked down to myself at the time for being too tired to walk through the parking lot and too tired to climb the stairs or not wanting to do any sports or excercise.  It was too much effort with all the extra baggage.  Now I am amazed at how much energy I have.  The fact that I sometimes prefer the steps to the elevator would be absurd to the old me...We have come into a land of feeling free...

- Chavon      
336lbs 6/19/06 - 198 lbs - 6/19/10  138 lbs gone forever!!!
We have our miracle:  Jakob Makhi born 4-15-10; 4 lbs. 10 oz. 22" long.

Most Active