Aciphex (medication for Gerd)

DeeBeeF
on 8/4/08 10:15 am
Happy Monday....
   I had my pre-op endoscopy today and it found Gerd/gastritis? so they prescribed Aciphex.  Looks like I have a 3 month prescription. Can anyone tell me what their experience was after this diagnosis?

1) will this have to be  totally cleared up before surgery?
2) can this pill be taken after surgery?

( I did not have this done by the bariatric surgeon because I had it done along with a colonoscopy. Totally different doctor at a different hospital, so thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 anesthesia)

Thanks

chunkymunky
on 8/4/08 10:26 am - TX
Yes I have had the endoscopy & the Gerd diagnosis & was also given the aciphex which I did not even buy or take. Ever since the surgery I have not had one bit of heartburn.Totally something of the past.
snicklefritz
on 8/4/08 11:28 am - Cincinnati, OH
Just diagnosed with erosion again and started on aciphex.

1. Don't know because I am a post op. Ask your surgeon.
2. yes it can.  I take it with no problem. I don't know if it is working because along with GERD etc I also have bile salts/bile acid froma gall bladder removal. That one is even more fun.

Check that out if you're having a lot of the Big D and you had you're GB out

rmoltzen
on 8/4/08 11:34 am - menlo park, CA
Aciphex was a life saver before my surgery.  But, after my surgery of RNY I no longer needed aciphex because my GERD was gone - yea
m.espoir
on 8/4/08 12:35 pm - NJ
I wouldnt take it unless you are having heartburn problems more than a few times a week. I started having heartburn with the band several years ago and went on aciphex. Have not had any heartburn since, but you gotta take it every day. I have also had my band out and had the DS and I am still on it, it is working fine.
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

KitKat51
on 8/5/08 3:07 am - Watauga, TX
I took Aciphex for several years prior to RNY, but thankfully within 3 months after surgery I was off ALL prescription meds. Look at it as short term hopefully! As for whether or not this might affect your surgery, only your bariatric surgeon can tell you that. Have the Dr. that did your colonoscopy fax everything to your bariatric dr. maybe save you a needless trip.
Good luck!
KitKat
Most Active