Just wondering...?

heidiraels
on 5/26/06 12:55 pm - Chaska, MN
Do any of you that were raised in the farm/rural culture feel that the food centrism of farm life, and acceptance of excess weight in the farm population contributed to their obesity? I am a daughter of a farmer. I raised Beef cattle and Purebred Hogs, and received many honors and awards for my livestock and records, including becoming the first woman to win Star Chapter Farmer in my Chapter in 1987. I have left the occupation, but still have a very tender heart for those who stuck it out. Heidi L-S RNY Gastric Bypass 4/18/2006
Popper
on 6/24/06 2:43 pm - Southern Burbs, MN
Heidi - I must say it was surprising to find someone on here who knows what animal husbandry is..... I was raised on a farm, and was in 4-H and FFA for many years. I guess I never thought about what you posted until now. Back when I was on the farm, we drank the milk right out of our bulk tank, and ate those higher fat type of dairy foods.. But when working on the farm I was big, but more in a muscular sense, however after moving out and taking those habits with me, and not doing the physical work that goes along with farming, that's when the weight began to creep up. I am now actually drinking skim milk, and low fat dairy, which was so hard at first, it tasted like water at first. I went on to get my bachelor of science in animal science/dairy from the U of M. I didn't notice too many of my peers from farms, being overweight either... I do feel that food centralism is definitely a part of the lives of the older farmers, and some of todays since food is so much closer to the table to those folks, they also take great pride in their products and want to enjoy them, and share at holidays, special events, etc. Well, I'm rambling, talk again.... ~Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
SomePeople
SomePeople · 4 replies · 324 views
Just wondering...?
heidiraels · 1 replies · 393 views