cat needs a shave

livinlarge
on 1/16/07 12:25 pm - Brantford, Canada
I have a boy, about 2, with very long hair. He is an outdoor cat and we love him to death. His fur on his back is clump-free because he will allow me to brush, but not his belly. Do I really need to get him shaved? How do I know who is good? Please help, friends of animals, Karen from Brantford
Dave Chambers
on 12/15/08 10:59 pm - Mira Loma, CA
It may be difficult to find someone to groom an "unruly" cat. I've been a Ragdoll breeder since 1977.  This breed happens to have non matting fur, so I don't have that issue. But I've met many Persian breeders, who routinely clip the fur on their female cats--to allow kittens to nurse easily. You can get a set of animal clippers and do it yourself. OR, if you really want to save $$, check out Harbor Freight Tools, as they normally have some cheap hair cutting sets for $5-10.  It may take two people to clip your cats belly, and be careful not to get bit. If biting is an issue, they do have inexpensive nylon "muzzles" that will humanely keep the cat from biting. Good luck. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Tami Jean A.
on 12/24/08 11:10 pm - Schenectady, NY
One of my specialties in my pet salon is cats. I do several a day. I alway try to avoid shaving when human, but not always the case. Sometimes I use an attachment comb and then hand scissor them to leave coat so they are more like a short coat rather than bald. I hate to say it, but I even have my share of matted rag dolls. The will mat, even short haired cats can matt and it can be related to diet, health and proper maintainence.
 A good cat groomer, knows that you don;t need to shave them bald with a #10 or shorted blade. They will try to use a #7 or longer. They will not go for a shave rigth off thetop to save time. They will never work alone as this can lead to injury to the cat or groomer if the animal is scared. I would not recommend any untrined pet owner try it at home as cats require a much different skill than dogs and have paper thin skin that cuts easily and then opens up. Also they should know how to monitor their vitals as cats can be scared enough to cause big problems even death. They should know cat CPR and first Aid..

Tami
332//303/175/132! 
highest/day of surgery/current/goal
WEARING SIZE 11 ! (haven't worn an 11 since I was 11)

Megan S.
on 3/23/09 3:37 am - Brighton, MA
You to get the mats taken care of, they can be very painful if not dealt with. I work at an animal hospital and we had a cat come in due to constipation, but  she was constipated due to the 2lb mat on her back, tail, and backside area. She actually had to be sedated because it was such a difficult mat, she got very stressed by the shaving.

I would say try a groomer first, be sure to let them know if you think he might be difficult. Groomers are usualy very good with cats as well as dogs, I'm sure they given lots of persian cats lion cuts.
If they are unable to help him I would suggest taking him to the vet for sedation, this is the extreme method so hopefully the groomer does well.

It really shouldn't be how he looks anyway, but if he's comfotable after.

Good luck with him!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Looking for a home...
SapphireStar · 0 replies · 610 views
test thread
nikonshooter · 0 replies · 478 views
Horse people
Meginsf · 10 replies · 799 views
Ferrets!
shiftling · 1 replies · 442 views